Help Discus Beginner With Lots Of Mistakes

AceDRoger

Reaction score
Hello Dears,
i would like to get Help from you guys as i'm not totally beginner in this hobby but new to discus fish keeping, now i'll throw some info about my tank
it is a 125G planted tank with a nitrogen cycle up and running from 5-6 months. with some angel fish and platy and tetras in it with canister filter sunsun 404B and a snormal sponge filter
- now i'll tell what mistakes i have made
- i bought the first couple discus fish 4 days ago
- then i bought the second couple 2 days ago
- and yesterday the last couple so i have now 6 juvenile in total
- i didn't buy all of them at once because i thought 2 is enough then 4 is enough and when i watched YouTube videos almost all of them recommended that they should be group of 6 minimum
- and that made my fishes stress out and hide
- another thing they recommended the tank should be just for discus so i stressed them once again when i tried to move things around while i'm taking out the other angel fishes and tetras....etc
- one of them is dominant and won't let the others eat properly and i'm afraid that it would ruin my water parameters if i try to put more food in it for the other fishes
- last thing if i can just exchange 10% of the water due to lack of water in my home i live in bad territory and the tap water comes every other day so how many times i need to change water weekly
(is it possible to change 10 % every other day or it wouldn't be enough)

* thanks in advance*

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you running an anoxic filter or plenum? Those can help reduce the amount of times you need to change water. You can make a sump with anoxic filtration in it by using another fish tank as the sump. I'm still a beginner but this is all I know about some of the advanced topics. A lot of discus keepers run anoxic filters in their tanks. You can also try more frequent water changes since they are only small amounts. Sorry I can't be more help.

AceDRoger

Reaction score
Are you running an anoxic filter or plenum? Those can help reduce the amount of times you need to change water. You can make a sump with anoxic filtration in it by using another fish tank as the sump. I'm still a beginner but this is all I know about some of the advanced topics. A lot of discus keepers run anoxic filters in their tanks. You can also try more frequent water changes since they are only small amounts. Sorry I can't be more help.
ty for your replay and i'm currently running this Filter https://www.amazon.com/Sunsun-HW-404B-External-Canister-Sterilizer/dp/B00C91OTL4 so any improvements can be made?

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The thing with young discus is they need to be fed about 6+ times a day and they need clean water. Mine are also young and I do 50% water changes every other day and feed up to 10x a day. When young there growing so they need lots of food. This will take about a year to grow them out. Freeze dried black worms or another high protein food should be given to them.
If you just got them they will be stressed for awhile. It’s good you removed the angels but the tetras probably could have stayed. Next the temp of the tank needs to be at 84-86. Discus need warm water. Did you buy them online or from a local store? Pictures help.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not a great idea to keep discus with other large fish, but they do fine with smaller peaceful fish like tetras. There is a school of thought that they actually become less stressed when they see calm schools of small fish swimming around. This is a signal that there's no danger and the discus can relax. The only wrench in the works here is finding companion fish that can deal with the higher temperatures discus prefer.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cardinal tetras are what I use in my discus tank for dither fish. And also sterbia Cory’s. They both can take the higher heat. I would add more discus like a total of 10 in a 125 gallon.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have grown out discus in a planted tank with a WC once a week constraint and feeding 2 - 3 times per day so it is possible BUT

1. I have massive sump filtration with 50+ times more bio media than any canister filter can hold
2. I still lost more fish than I should have, and some can no doubt be attributed to the once a week WC
3. My fish in some cases are not as big as they could have been, again insufficient WC and feeding

So it is possible but unlikely to lead to 6" or bigger fish in the end. Not that it can replace WC but you may also want to familiarise yourself with the use of Potassium Permanganate, both preventive and as a cure for certain illnesses. This thread is a good place to start:
Using Potassium Permanganate

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Next the temp of the tank needs to be at 84-86. Discus need warm water.
Warm water is not required for discus. While I was at a well known fish store, I was told by an employee that he bred discus at 72°F and they were fine. He also told me that the water that the fish originated from did not have 80 something degree temperature (okay, maybe for certain days). Warmer water also stimulates high metabolism within fish, including discus.

Last edited:

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Warm water is not required for discus.
Hmm, just because somebody decides to keep (breed?) discus at 72 F doesn't necessarily make it a smart move for the rest of us to follow. As most of us have domestic discus in our tanks they would typically be used to mid eighties temperatures from the established breeders (but even higher here in South East Asia...), which also happens to be around the average for their wild ancestors. I don't see any benefits in going below 82 F permanently, even if the fish will survive it? Does this make warm water "required" for discus? In my opinion yes, if you want healthy stress free fish. Maybe your reference just lowered the temperature for a short period to provoke e.g. breeding or maybe the employee had no clue what he was talking about?

Secondly, there is an article in the September 2009 issue of Practical Fishkeeping magazine where a guy have taken water temperature samples over 40 - 50 years from the wild discus habitats. As it is not allowed to reproduce the article I can't really do that, but I guess I can say is that in all these years he has never measured anything lower than 74.3 F..... also even the low temperatures (as well as high of course!) are only for a part of the year so why try to keep them at 72 F in your tank all year? Try to Google "water temperature at wild discus habitat" if you want to see his results.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Warm water is not required for discus. While I was at a well known fish store, I was told by an employee that he bred discus at 72°F and they were fine. He also told me that the water that the fish originated from did not have 80 something degree temperature (okay, maybe for certain days). Warmer water also stimulates high metabolism within fish, including discus.
People say a lot of things! I’ve never heard of what your proposing. I’ve been reading and dealing with discus for almost 40yrs and I’ve never heard of someone successfully keeping discus in 72 degree temperature. Sorry just never heard or read about it. All info you read will tell you 84-86 for best results.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
People say a lot of things! I’ve never heard of what your proposing. I’ve been reading and dealing with discus for almost 40yrs and I’ve never heard of someone successfully keeping discus in 72 degree temperature. Sorry just never heard or read about it. All info you read will tell you 84-86 for best results.
I've never kept them nor am I interested in keeping them.

AceDRoger

Reaction score
The thing with young discus is they need to be fed about 6+ times a day and they need clean water. Mine are also young and I do 50% water changes every other day and feed up to 10x a day. When young there growing so they need lots of food. This will take about a year to grow them out. Freeze dried black worms or another high protein food should be given to them.
If you just got them they will be stressed for awhile. It’s good you removed the angels but the tetras probably could have stayed. Next the temp of the tank needs to be at 84-86. Discus need warm water. Did you buy them online or from a local store? Pictures help.
i bought them from the local store and some of them now are eating but the others are not because they are getting bullied by the once who are eating i would like to send a video but now allowed here
DSC_0267.JPG
DSC_0268.JPG

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish look good!! That’s the usual pecking order at feeding time . You could drop the food in at different spots. It’s a big tank so more would spread the chasing around and give everyone a chance to eat. I have 12 in a 125 .
What type of food are you feeding? And how often?

AceDRoger

Reaction score
Fish look good!! That’s the usual pecking order at feeding time . You could drop the food in at different spots. It’s a big tank so more would spread the chasing around and give everyone a chance to eat. I have 12 in a 125 .
What type of food are you feeding? And how often?
i got from my friend a beef heart MIX , and SERA flakes

is it possible here to send you a video so you can see the chase ?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, to post a video you first need to upload it somewhere like YouTube then post the link in here

AceDRoger

Reaction score
Hi, to post a video you first need to upload it somewhere like YouTube then post the link in here
i'll do that very soon please stay tuned up

i got from my friend a beef heart MIX , and SERA flakes

is it possible here to send you a video so you can see the chase ?
please take a look, the food on the left side

Last edited by a moderator:

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks like pretty typical behavior to me. The king of the tank doesn't want anyone else to get food, even if he's not hungry. It might help to get a few more. Then there's too many to be chased away. You can also split the food up and put it in several places. Don't feed more, just make small portions of what you do feed and spread it around. Even the bullies can't be everywhere at once.

You also might want to think about getting rid of the rocks that have sharp edges and surfaces. When they get frisky or get startled at night they can dart around quite fast and without a great deal of caution about where exactly they're going. They can injure themselves on those rough spots. It's nothing you'd need to do right away, but maybe change them out one or two at a time when you find suitable replacements. The smaller ones in the center foreground look fine. Or maybe just put a few more plants in among the sharp ones. Perhaps put some moss on it. That might actually be a better approach.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish look good and as said those rock on the right look like lava rock. If so remove all but 1 of them. I have 2 small pieces in my tank and one of my discus scratched itself up on it. Now I have them in the back of the tank where the fish shouldn’t hit them.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 14 70.0%

Top Bottom