Discus and LF Zebra Danios

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Isabella, Mar 29, 2006.

1. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

My LFS currently has Discus and long-finned Zebra Danios. I have never seen Discus in real life before. Neither have I ever seen long-finned Zebra Danios. Needless to mention ... God how I want Discus now!!! They're the most beautiful fish in the tropical fish hobby. I know they're hard to maintain ... but who wouldn't sacrifice some time to have such beautiful fish? I think it's well worth it. Now I know that I definitely have to get that 125G very densely planted with discus in it!!! And as for the Zebra Danios, I didn't know they have a long-finned variety. Have any of you ever seen that? They also look beautiful! Folks, I am in desperate need of some good medication for the MTS disease ... I feel I am severely infected and need immediate help! :-\

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The only Meds for MTS s more tanks. It seems to alleviate the symptoms for a while but a complete cure is not in sight ;)
    I have seen long-finned gold danios, blue danios, zebra danios and leopard danios and they are all truly gorgeous. Don't know if they would be too busy for Discus or not.
    Isabella I avoid looking at the Discus just because tehy are so beautiful and MTS strikes me again. Just don't have the room :(
    Carol

3. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I suprised you have room for the 10 0r so tanks you have now! I see Discus all the time here but the price of them are ridiculous ranging from $80-$250+. They do look great, I personally like the green/blue variety looks so cool.

BTW even $80 is extremely cheap!

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

And I thought Discus at my LFS were expensive (they're $40 each). Now I see that's cheap compared to what they cost in Australia! You're in Australia, right? Boy, that's really expensive as for one fish! Compare that to a few dollars worth of an angelfish, or a dollar worth of some tiny neon, lol.

5. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

From what I've read, danios would be too busy for a discus tank and could stress out the discus and cause them to hide all the time. You need pretty docile tankmates like rummy nose tetras which I personally love the way they look! Even cory cats are supposed to be "too busy" for discus to be comfortable in their tank.

As for cost, the best way to get them is through a local breeder or fellow hobbyist. I know at least in Atlanta, club members can get beautiful discus at around $20.00 or $25.00 apiece. The simply discus site is basically a discus only site and the folks there are fanatical about their discus. A lot of them are breeders, and their advice about discus is excellent. What I learned on that site helped me decide that discus weren't right for me right now. ;)

6. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Great website Gunnie, thank you :) I will definitely thoroughly check it out. Well, I didn't mean to say that I'd keep Zebra Danios with Discus - just happened to see them at my LFS at the same time that I saw Discus, so I wrote about them together. AND ... I am NOT YET setting up another tank, lol. I definitely will do it, but not now. In fact, no idea when (but I will!). I didn't say I'll 100% get Discus, but if I get a huge tank, I'll seriously consider having Discus. Don't worry - I'll do my full research about them and the setup they need, the requirements on everything, etc ... before I ever get them. If I won't be able to provide them with all conditions necessary for them to thrive, I won't get them at all. If I do get them, the setup and other fish - basically everything - will be done to compliment their requirements (perhaps they'll be the only fish in the tank). But ... lol ... that'll be a "100" years from now, so for now it's just a dream for me. I really have no time for a huge tank and such delicate fish right now. I need to get done with my education first and have a place of my own, because moving a tank - say 125 gallons large - won't be so easy if I get it now. Basically, I want that huge tank in a place where I know I will settle down for good (which won't be too soon). There are a lot of factors to consider, as you can see ... BUT THANKS A LOT for all the suggestions and help - they'll definitely come in handy in the future :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice