Discus And Angels In A 55

1. Reef Ventures

Reef Ventures Valued Member Member

So I have my 55 tall (36"long 24"tall 15"deep) as of now with 2 angels and 11 Kuhlis. Could I get 2 discus (potentially 2 more in a couple months) to add to this tank. I've always loved discus but never had the money and now that I have a job I can afford some! I understand that it may be too small but I'm so confused. Some places said 20g for 1 and then another 10g for any more. That's why I would get 2. And also would the discus school with my angels?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I really wouldn't recommend it in a tank with these proportions. A discus in a 20g is insanity, and they should be kept in schools.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I have to agree with that.
    They wouldn't be working out for long term. Discus need 55 minimum, but larger if tankmates are being kept.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do both together in a 55, as discus should be kept in a group of at least 5 and if you did have 5, then there's no room for any angels. If you had a 125g then you could do both, imo, but not in this size tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

My tank is a 55. Currently stocked with 2 angels and 11 kuhlis. Thats why I was asking if getting 2-4 discus would be ok

6. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

C
    Could I get Discus then when they grow up have the perfect excuse to get a 125?

7. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

Discus are best alone, in a school of several. They're pretty slow feeders. So you could start a discus shoal in a 55. And them put them in something bigger. Even then discus are best alone with other discus. They get spooked easily and slow

8. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

What do you mean by they get spooked slow? Also the tank that they are housed in at the fish store keeps both angels and discus in the same tank and I see the discus attack the angels not vis versa

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No I wouldn't do that. What if you won't be able to get a 125 in the future? Then you would be stuck with an incorrectly stocked tank.

10. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

ok. It's just I'm confused because I have seen 55's before with like 7 6" discus in them and they all look super healthy etc and then I see people saying "no more than 5 in a 60g"

11. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally have seen goldfish in 1 gallon bowls without a filter, it doesn't mean it's a good way to raise goldfish. People make mistakes with fish often when it comes to tank size. I have also heard of a couple of those goldfish living for years in those bowls without health issues, usually the goldfish is surviving but not necessarily thriving. That being said people here can only give you advice, it's up to you what you wish to do with it. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Thanks. I just want to know if 55 is too small? With 2 angels already in the tank I though that adding 2 discus would be ok.
    Also the guy at the LFS said that I wouldn't need to worry about stocking its just that I may have aggression issues.

13. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

14. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

After doing quite a lot of reading I've kind of realised that My tank is probably too small for discus.
    Would a better alternative be to get 2 more angels?

15. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

In my experience 2 angels is the best. Anymore and you run into serious aggression issues.

16. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

A 55 gallon is plenty big for 6 discus- but, no other fish.

17. Mike1995

do yourself a favor and don't put any fish with any decent size with a discus. Just because you see something at a store doesn't mean its ideal for you to do in your home aquarium.

18. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Thanks.
    Im not getting discus anymore due to the reasons listed above and How big they get.
    Im either going to get, 2 more angels, some large tetras, pygmy perch (Nannoperca australis)
    any other suggestions are welcome

19. Mike1995

Bolivian ram maybe?

20. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

German rams work with angels .