Discus And Angel Behavior Observations

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have 3 Angels: Goldie[Female], Seven[Male] and Jungli[Male]. Goldie is paired with Seven and produces eggs every two weeks or so. recently I saw Goldie messing around with Jungli which was unusual, anyways I see Jungli being a diligent father taking care of his first batch eggs and that cheat Goldie is back with her mate Seven, normally she is ferocious when defending her eggs to the point she will fight with her mate Seven. I just thought it was peculiar she is completely ignoring the eggs the dither male fertilized.

5 Discus: Django [blood snakeskin male], Mango [yellow female], Tango [Turquoise ?], Rango [red male], Vango [turquoise snakeskin female] .

So anyhow Mango was a hoe, every week she would alternate between Django and Rango and dump her eggs on them to handle. Since it is a community fry never survive; so I sold off most of cherry shrimp from the shrimp only tank and transferred Django and Mango to their exclusive new tank. I was dissatisfied with the pairing. now being short 1 Discus in the main tank I went to Tropical Haven and bought a turquoise snakeskin and put it with Rango and Tango. Rango immediately started to flirt. seeing my opportunity for a perfect pairing I removed the cheating Mango back into the 60g community and paired the two snakeskins in their very own tank and now Mango no longer has a wandering eye and is inseparable from Rango.

now the most unusual behavior is, Tango a Discus is an outcast much like Jungli an Angel tolerates Tango around the eggs but will chase everyone else away. Tango comes within the personal space boundary of the brooding Angel but isn't chased away.

just some weird behavioral stuff i observed over the last couple weeks. Also I still have not ever performed a water change since I last reported not changing my water.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This was the most entertaining thing I've read in awhile. Haha. Love it And 10/10 for names!!

And I'd like to visit tropical haven soon! I'm so jelly . My great-uncle close friend, Ted, owns the place

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ted is awesome. He has passion for the freshwater exotic hobby. The quality of the stock and price is unbeatable. ive compared the "grade" of the discus ive got from him and I say they are quite easily on show quality end of the spectrum and not much less overall. For perspective; I went to Las Vegas last month, went to several LFS and the quality of their fish was trash (lumpy, odd shaped, poor colors and patterning) and prices outrageous.

this just in. both discus pairs have just laid eggs in the last few minutes of me writing this. also Goldie looks like she wants to get it on with Seven and dump eggs again in the span of a day. I'm gna take pics, take vid, record some data, and collate. brb....

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water params for the 60g community with the 3 Angels and 3 Discus are
NH4/0 ppm, NO2/0ppm, NO3/0ppm, temp/83F, pH/6. perfect! but I'm sure the neons, rasboras, corys, chain loaches, and BN plecos especially wont allow for any success with fry.

Water params for the 23g Nat Geo with the two snakeskins
NH4/0 ppm, NO2/0ppm, NO3/0ppm, temp/79F, pH/6. Darn! the temp is too low, so these eggs are probably gna be chalked up as practice, but at least I know I have compatibility and hopes for future success. just got to keep feeding them live blackworms and daphnia, and the remaining cherry shrimp seem to have disappeared (I'm sure they have not been eaten, just went into hiding)

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Darn! You can try raising the temp back up; 79 is about the borderline for health...If you can increase it about 84 or so, you may be able to kick in the metabolism for better disease-resistance to offset the drop in temp. That, of course, is if you want . And your parameters are beautiful! *wipe a tear*

And it's great they paired up! I loving watching them spawn lol. I like feeding them the good stuff till the lady is filled with eggs, raising to 84, then drain about a third or so and replace it with new water about 75-77 degrees. Works like a charm

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well it used to be a shrimp tank, and in all my diligence in redoing the tank I neglected the thermostat. I'm tweeking it right now to get it to be 83F.
the water change simulates a rain or wet season hormonal trigger caused by a temporary drop in temp. However you know I'm loathe to do a waterchange, ill probably do it when the water evaporates 2 or 3 gallon instead to achieve the same desired effect. I have 4 x 1gallons of pretreated water ready for topoff at any given moment with pH of 6 and 2 g with pH of 5

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohh Icic, and it's so cool how you have it all balanced like that tbh. I've always been super fascinated by it .

And I always laugh like an idiot when I do the rainy season hormonal trigger; like I'm some evil puppet master using their natural bodies/instincts to my advantage! Mwuahha. . Alright. I'm 12 now.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
lol great post! I also love the names, I had mine all named too. And, I also had a Discus named Tango!
At one stage I had 5 Discus and 1 Angel (rescued from a friend), the Angel turned aggressive towards the Discus and had to be sold.
These fish are so amazing with their behaviour, its so intriguing to watch, I adore them

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubris i know. but i myself consider myself a god unto my fish as far as they see it. their lives depend on my meddling to provide an artificially pristine environment, sustenance, and dare I say..."happiness"
Also,
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kasshan said:
Hubris i know. but i myself consider myself a god unto my fish as far as they see it. their lives depend on my meddling to provide an artificially pristine environment, sustenance, and dare I say..."happiness"
Also,
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Haha, it's fun to feel like Q sometimes lol . Powerful and omnipotent

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ha! Q! lol I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. superb.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom