Discus Acting Weird Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Grumpyfish32, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Hey guys and gals! I have read about the nitrogen cycle and my tank is cycled with a ph of 6.5. My question is how long does it take for new discus to get used to the tank. I’m asking because I bought a 2 inch cobalt discus (2 months old) and his fins were clamped after a day of introduction. The other discus I bought which is a golden one is doing great. The temp of the tank is at 84.4 F ammo, nitrite is 0 and nitrate at 10. Sorry for the long post and if this is in the wrong section. Here is a photo of the discus smile.png

Attached Files:

2. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Maybe give the little guy some hiding spaces? Some floating plants might make the fish feel safer too.

3. OP
    OP
    G

Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Ok thanks will do. So does it mean that he is just stressed out which is why his fins are clamped? I’ll be removing some frogbit and java fern and driftwood from my other tank to this one. Should I just observe him for now? Thank you so much! :)

4. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Yep yep best not to overdo things now :). Worst thing is if u start medicating etc and adding stuff like PH buffers etc, it’ll just stress it out more. As long as the other fish are doing fine just observe it and keep up with your water changes. Lovely fish btw.

Goodluck!

5. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Hi, you may already have all this information, but I thought I would post you a link to the care sheet for juvenille discus Growing Out The Juvenile Discus.

They are such beautiful fish, I just don't think I could commit to the daily water changes. Maybe in a few years time.

6. OP
    OP
    G

Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Thank you all for the help:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice