Discouraging nipping? (Guppies)

SiGirl85

I have six male guppies in a twenty gallon tank, they are the only inhabitants at the moment. They've been fine for the past few days since I got them, but tonight I noticed a couple of them are getting nippy. I've seen them nip at a couple of the other guppies, should I be very worried?
I do not have another tanks, this is my first and only aquarium, so please don't suggest I move them to another tank. Is there a way to discourage fin nipping/agression in male guppies?
Thanks! - SiGirl

Crimson_687

All you can really do is heavily plant the tank and get more to disperse aggression so that they don’t gang up on a certain fish, male guppies are very hardy, very social, but are also known to bully each other.

Otherwise you can get females to distract the guys, but you would need 2-3 females per male minimum, fry accommodation, and attentions would shift to the girls, but they would still be persistent with the females, so I’m not sure if that would solve the problem exactly the way you want

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

You could add some tall decorations, some decorations with hollows, some silk or live plants. Places that the fish can hide in/behind, also things that they can explore. But unfortunatly there is a good possability that they will continue to chase each other. as this is not stress behavior, it is just guppies being guppies.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Adding hiding spots, decorations, breeder baskets, and some female guppies. If you don't want them breeding don't add females. Just add hiding spots, decorations, breeder baskets

Place the males that are nipping in the breeder boxes/baskets

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SiGirl85
  • Question
  • TacomaToker
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Flyfisha