Discourage Platys From Breeding?

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there any way I can discourage my platys from breeding? I just pulled 1000000000000000 fry out of my 30g and it breaks my heart, but there’s too many to keep and not a single soul wants them. Can I discourage breeding or lower the amount of fry they produce without negativly affected them or my other inhabitants (which are neon and cardinal tetras, dwarf gourami, Amano shrimp, assasin snail, kuhli loaches)?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not sure but does high pH lead to a higher chance of successful breeding?

Maybe you should take all the ornaments out of the tank and let the fry get eaten by other fish.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I guess I could try to lower my PH, I’ll look into that. The plant that the fry are always hiding in is my “popular plant”, this big fake plant that everybody lives in. My kuhlis are always in there, looking for food, or in my fake ship but it’s hard to tell. My Amano NEVER leaves, I actually didn’t think I had her anymore until I saw her grab a piece of food that landed on a leaf than run back in a few days ago, and if any of my other inhabitants get spooked they dart behind it. I could try lifting it and see if any of the “new ones” swim out, but it’s pretty well “established”, so to speak, removing it would probably cause chaos and I’d more than like bring some creature out with it. Thanks though!

I grow attached to my fish, I know a lot of people just do it for the looks but I’ve got the fish now, they’re my responsibility, they’ve all got names, and I’m attached to them all. Originally I wanted all males but PetSmart slipped up and gave me a female and a male. I’m stuck with 40 billion fish now.

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only ways to stop them from having fry would be to get rid of the female(s), put the male(s) and female(s) in different tanks, or get a divider.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
U could try not feeding after fry drops and see if they eat them or get a fish like a gourami to eat excess fry.
If that's not for u you'll have to separate them.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I already have a dwarf gourami, she eats plenty along with the parents but it’s just not enough. I guess I’ll just have to deal with the fry then. Oh well, my mistake (or PetSmarts).

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you remove the hiding places and stuff for the females/fry, the females will hold onto the fry until they die. There really isn't anything you can do to completely stop the males going after the females, sadly. They're aggressive breeders, and if the males outnumber the females they'll stress them to death anyway. They'll keep going even if the female is pregnant or injured. 3 females to a male for guppies, mollies, platies, and as far as I know swordtails. My feeder fish are a cross of something... Mostly guppies, some have swortails, others get the stocky bodies of mollies. Yet they all came from the same guppy. There's nothing I can do, and I'm down to 3 females to a dozen males.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can’t remove their hide, as I’ve explained but I get what you mean. The only two fry that made it from the last batch are one male and one female, the mother died from prolapsed bowels soon after birth leaving only my adult male, who is a total jerk. I’m not sure what to do anymore because I don’t want platys anymore, they’re too much work, and the more females the more babies so I can’t get more females. Don’t know what else can be done about it. Oh well.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest euthanizing them then, if you no longer want them and have no nearby stores that will take them that is the last option.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Euthanized the fry I pulled out, I like my fish and would ever dream of killing them, just gotta hold out until their time is up. Thanks anyways.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sage Exotics said:
Euthanized the fry I pulled out, I like my fish and would ever dream of killing them, just gotta hold out until their time is up. Thanks anyways.
How many adults do u have? Have u tried fasting the tank? I'm still very new but I'm trying to think of ideas

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one adult, my male, two juveniles, a male and a female. I don’t think I’ll be fasting my tank, just seems cruel to me, I’ll always give in to their little dances they do when they want something, and my fish looove to eat. Thanks anyways!

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sage Exotics said:
I have one adult, my male, two juveniles, a male and a female. I don’t think I’ll be fasting my tank, just seems cruel to me, I’ll always give in to their little dances they do when they want something, and my fish looove to eat. Thanks anyways!
Ya. Mine too. I haven't had an fry yet. But I give in to my fishes too.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since you only have one female left, rehome her to prevent yourself from becoming overrun with fry that you have no place for. Having twos males to one female can end badly for the female.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sage Exotics said:
I guess I have no choice...
Without a place to send further fry off too if is the best option, at least you will be able to hunt out a suitable home for her to live happily, maybe get a friend or family member to let you help them start up a tank and gift her to them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom