Discord Server

TucanSam

I don't know if anyone has seriously suggested this, but I think it would be interesting to see a FishLore Discord server one day. for those who do not know:

Discord is basically like Skype or an IRC chat server. It's a program that launches servers for different functions that allow you to create chatrooms for people to gather in as well as offer voice chat for people to talk over. Unlike Skype or IRC, Discord is generally aimed at "gamers", but different groups for different reasons have used it to support their various communities and it tends to be much more user friendly, imo.

Either way, I think it'd be cool to have an active chatroom to compliment the forums and could help with set up.

sparklepixie

I like that idea, I use Discord all the time.

kallililly1973

I agree that would be awesome and I believe it has been suggested before but I think it would require a lot of moderators being in said chats at all times to weed out the fun spoilers.

TucanSam

I agree that would be awesome and I believe it has been suggested before but I think it would require a lot of moderators being in said chats at all times to weed out the fun spoilers.

There are a few ways to combat and mitigate some of these issues, but it definitely takes a little bit of effort. Bots do exist that can auto moderate out cuss words and s though, and there are ways to restrict what users can do until they are verified to not be spammers.

It's not impossible!

ryanr

HI all,
Thanks for the suggestion. Buuuuttttt......

As Discord is pretty much "anything goes", it's unlikely such a server would be endorsed by Mike. In the same way that a 'chat' feature won't be introduced on FL. Mike, as owner of the forum has final say on this matter, and has previously rejected such ideas.

As moderators, it's hard enough keeping up with the FL forum, let alone having to monitor a chat/discord setup. As a family friendly forum, with members as young 13 years of age, we have somewhat of a duty of care under the COPPA laws, and other discrimination laws to protect our members from content that may be inappropriate for said audience.

Also, worth pointing out, whilst FL is hosted in the USA, we are a world-wide forum, and must appreciate that other countries may have different laws, which we as moderators have to consider (e.g. the latest EU privacy laws have been an absolute pain point)

So, in summary, whilst a lovely idea, it's unlikely to occur.

Mike

Yep, what Ryan said is perfectly stated.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lakefish
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Silister Trench