Discontinue Meds?

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Spartacus's fin rot is not going away. The rip that was completely to the base of the tail has healed remarkably well, but is still a little torn at the edge, and there's a little bit more damage to the other fins. His tank has still not cycled yet, and the only meds I have now is Paragard and Melafix.

If I'm going to have to do a 50% water change every day, then what's the point of medicating? Won't the water change also prolong the cycling, since the ammonia will be taken out? I'm also tired of not being able to see my fish, since I can't use my full spectrum florescent lights, and I'm getting tired of always having to take out my carbon filter.

Would it be better to just keep up with the water changes, maybe only 25% every day or every other day, until the tank gets cycled? This is just hopeless. I really don't want to have to use the Tetracycline again, since it makes the water so dark.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the cycle right now. If you can't get any other meds, then the best thing for your fish would be very clean water. I'd give up on the cycliing and do daily water changes. It's amazing what just clean water can do for a fish's health. I had a buenos aires tetra that had the whole top of his hide taken off. It looked like he had been cut with a fillet knife. I tried to catch him to euthanize him, but he was too fast for me. Within 2 weeks, he was completely healed and back to normal!

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
you aren't using melafix on him are you??? Isn't that the one that's been killing bettas ??

i used maracyn and maracyn 2 together to treat Grim's tail rot. Its almost all healed up now.

And yes, forget about the cycle until you get him healthy again. It will be a head ach for now, but the meds can kill the good cycle bacteria anyways. After he's healthy you can start the cycle again.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Our story is not much different.  Though I've forgone cycling our Betta's tank in favor of focusing on the meds, our Betta's fin rot has persisted.  For us, it's been over three month's trying various meds (JL Fungus Clear, Maracyn2, M1/M2, and penicillin) that have really seemed ineffective.  I'm beginning to believe that the water changes necessary due to the tank being uncyled have interfered with these meds ability to work properly and have possibly added to stress on the fish, which is most noted as the cause of fin rot.

We're trying something different.  Our Betta has been off meds for over a week (interestingly, his fin rot looks no different w/o meds) and yesterday I moved him from his 5 gal to a 3 gal to allow me to set up his 5 gal with the gravel, plants and decs I'd kept out so as to medicate him in it.  Monday, I'll put the Bio-Spira we've had in the refrigerator since mid-December into the 5 gal, immediately followed by our Betta.  Then he'll be in a cycled tank and if he shows no signs of improvement after a week (the amount of time Bio-Spira needs to establish itself), we can go through the treatment w/o having to do potentially med-interfering water changes.

I'm wondering if you've considered moving your Betta to another tank (we're using a 3 gal Kritter Keeper equipped with a sponge filter and 25W heater) to give you the abilty to cycle your Betta's Home tank w/o having to do water changes?  Using pure ammonia, I've seen reports of successfull cycling using this method, and with cycle completion in as little as 10 days.  At the same time, you could continue medicating Spartacus w/o having to worry about water changes impeding the cycling process.

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom