Discolored Pool Filter Sand

Sierra23

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
26
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
Probably a total newbie question, but I have a 50 gallon planted tank with pool filter sand as substrate. Over the 9 months the tank has been up and running, I’ve found that some of the sand is turning a dark dirty color. Like individual grains, but not all. So the beautiful off white color it started as is no more. Is this normal?
Thanks!
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,812
Reaction score
11,152
Points
748
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea the lighter the substrate the more the biofilm, algae and poop stand out. I stir up my substrate monthly to bury that stuff. Doing so provides some fertilizer for the plants. Corydoras help stir the sand and kick up poop which is then pulled in by the filter.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Dave125g said:
Yea the lighter the substrate the more the biofilm, algae and poop stand out. I stir up my substrate monthly to bury that stuff. Doing so provides some fertilizer for the plants. Corydoras help stir the sand and kick up poop which is then pulled in by the filter.
Thank you. This will be my first adventure in a sandy bottom aquarium! And you’re right. Corys do stir things up!
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,484
Reaction score
5,856
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
How deep is the substrate?

I have PFS in a 55. After more than a month it is as white as the day I put it in. I use aggressive filtration (700 GPH) along with a product called Seachem Pristine

I use it in all our aquariums and it is very effective I rarely gravel vac. I do swizzle the sand right before a water change, but this is more to prevent the sand from compacting around the roots of my plants.

If you are using UV sterilizers you will need to turn them off for at least three days to give the Pristine bacteria a chance to establish its self in the substrate.
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
seachem prestine is a bacteria that cleans your substrate? iv heard of this and am curious.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,484
Reaction score
5,856
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
seachem prestine is a bacteria that cleans your substrate? iv heard of this and am curious.
It is a bacteria that was developed to breakdown fats and the like. I am not sure of the science of it but it does what they say it will do. Generally if I see fish poo early in the day by the time I get home it is gone.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,484
Reaction score
5,856
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
Thats amazing. I'll have to add some to my "cart" lol
This sand has been set up for two months. I have gravel vacuumed once. And there is a 4 year old ABN in there.
_MG_8178.0.jpg
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Wow stunning, and how nice it must be to not have to gravel vac. I just switched 5o bdbs and you can c EVERYTHING now lol. I'm sorry I'm a tab bit slow, what is ABN ? Beautiful plan5s btw

Albino bristle nose ? Lol
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,484
Reaction score
5,856
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
Wow stunning, and how nice it must be to not have to gravel vac. I just switched 5o bdbs and you can c EVERYTHING now lol. I'm sorry I'm a tab bit slow, what is ABN ? Beautiful plan5s btw

Albino bristle nose ? Lol
Thank you Ms rose

This is Benny our 4 year old Albino Bristle Nose. They produce a good amount of waste.
_MG_5364-Edit copy 2.0.jpg
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom