Discoloration Shell Rot?

1. E

Ethan1209 New Member Member

DC04A3B2-4110-4A26-B971-20152143C7B3.jpeg F99AE18E-CFC4-44CA-A673-BF660394C315.jpeg Is this shell rot? She just molted yesterday and gave birth about just over a week ago. I saw discoloration on her she’ll the day before she molted and I occasionally dose a drop of iodide weekly

I just did a 50 percent water change as I do weekly and feed her peas, hikari algae wafers, and the nat geo shrimp pellets

2. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I can't really help any, but I'm definitely watching this thread to learn for my own crayfish. I have not experienced this. Most of what I've read says though that they should get enough iodine from the foods they eat? I don't know though.

3. OP
    OP
    E

Seems to have spread so quickly in 2 days

4. JLeeM

Yeah. Not trying to sound grim, but it doesn't look good. I feel bad for you guys. Hopefully someone will come along, and help.

Maybe @CrayfishGuy321, @iancrayguy, and I can't seem to find anyone else.

5. OP
    OP
    E

It was discolored before it molted but it was underneath the shell because her molt has no visible shell rot and has since just spread everywhere. She is being kept with her babies and I don’t know if I should move her or her babies out

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

What do you feed your crayfish? Sounds like calcium deficiency.

7. OP
    OP
    E

8. Sarah73

Have you tried the cuttlebone? It's better to use. Hmm no meat?

9. OP
    OP
    E

I read that they don’t usually eat meat and really only have a vegetarian diet

I’ll see if I can get some cuttlebone from my cousin but in the mean time in boiled 2 eggs to put the shells in

10. OP
    OP
    E

What kind of protein do you reccomend

11. JLeeM

I would first check to see how much protein is in your shrimp pellets and algae wafers. My shrimp pellets and algae wafers have 36% and 40%.

12. Sarah73

13. JLeeM

14. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I've heard of rust/brown spots disease in shrimp, and this seems similar, but again, the care I know is based on shrimp. The salt dip/bath is the most used method, but be sure to use unionized salt.
    Some people say that either slowly lowering or raising the pH by 1 point over several days may help as the bacteria may prefer it where it is... this is just a may, it hasn't been proven. Some suggest slightly lowering the temperature, as bacteria thrive in higher temperatures. The only issue with this is it will slow your cray's metabolism, and by default, the immune system. However, it often slows down the bacteria more than the immune system.
    Here's a link that has it (in shrimp) with some more extreme treatments, but definitely do the salt dips first.
    Shrimp Diseases and Diagnosis

15. OP
    OP
    E

I used sea salt and dipped the cray for about 20 seconds and was afraid to got further

16. OP
    OP
    E

I used sea salt to dip my cray for 20 seconds and was too afraid to go longer

17. OP
    OP
    E

The food has 33% and 36% crude protien

18. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

What concentration dip did you use? Did he start to act weird, and if so, in what way? Also if so, is he acting okay now?

19. OP
    OP
    E

I dipped her again and used about half a teaspoon for one quart and left her for 10 minutes. she just tried to escape and kind of walked in place and was moving her swimmerets. The first dip was hardly a dip at all i put like 2 grains of salt

20. OP
    OP
    E

she has about 20 of her week old babies should I move them to a different 10 gallon?