Discoloration of Dalmation Molly or Pregnant? Help

Discussion in 'Molly' started by coltconn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. coltconnNew MemberMember

Hello everyone! I have a beautiful female dalmation molly (her name is Penelope). I was just looking at her and I saw a light brown/orange spot under her gill on the left side, about the size of her eye. Could this be some sort of disease, or could it be from the food she is eating (trpocial flakes mixed with bloodworms)? I also read that orange spots can be normal for a pregnant dalmation molly, and I do think she may be pregnant. Her tank mates are a male fancy guppy and a ghost shrimp (for now, lol) But I just got her from the pet sotre 9 days ago, and she was in the tank with other males! I could just be panicing over nothing, but I would like some advice from some expirienced hobbiest!

So I guess what I'm asking is: what is this spot & why is it there, and do you think she may be pregnant? I really appreciate it as I am a "newbie". Thanks to everyone for your help! :;thx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

3. OP
    OP
    c

coltconnNew MemberMember

Thanks! I put a picture of her that I just took, you can't really see the spot I'm talking about, but you can see if she is pregnant. :;fb

4. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

I have mollies with the same discoloration. I had one that I bought with those spots and now it seems to be spreading. I don't know if it's harmful or not. How are your fish doing?

5. Kunsthure

KunsthureWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!

A gravid spot that you'd see in pregnant females would be further back, near her vent. If the spot is near her gill, it wouldn't be a gravid spot.

I can't say for sure if she's pregnant but she's definitely plumper than my dalmation Molly. If her stomach starts looking boxy, then you'll know she's pregnant.

I'm not sure if you know, but mollies and guppies can crossbreed. Just something to think about with female mollies and male guppies in the same tank.

-Lisa

6. SFwriterValued MemberMember

My two dalmatian mollies have similar orange spots. To me it looks like individual scales are orange, leading me to believe they have some non-dalmatian genetics.

7. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

That makes sense to me. I was kinda thinking the same thing, especially since they are healthy and acting normal. I guess we'll see if they have some orange lookin' fry. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice