Disaster after come back from vacation

1. a

axel Well Known Member Member

I just comeback from vacation for 5 days.I told my housekeeper to take care of my 15 gallon fish tank and 90 planted tank.And she overfed 15 gallon tank and make it cloudy (green colour) with tiny particle,i did 90% water change and it still cloudy (no green colour).I throw away dirty floss from the filter.I ran out of floss,So i will get it tomorrow morning.all my fish seems restless but no sign of sickess yet,only stress.I have ceramic ring in my filter.Just hope the BB can handle the bioload until tomorrow morning.

For the 90 gallon tank,She only turn the light on for 2-3 hours (i told her to turn it on for 8 hours).And heres the result http://imgur.com/a/dmAD5 .as you can see all my bacopa leaves are dying and theres foam on the water surface,should i just throw away bacopa and buy new one?My moss and anubias seems okay though

http://imgur.com/a/dmAD5

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

1st off beautiful aquarium I cant even <3 and no I wouldn't throw away the bacopa in my opinion, it'll come back in time most likely

3. OP
    OP
    a

thank you,it just frustating me to see my tank ruined,i waited for 2 weeks to make the water chemistry stable so i can put fish in it.And now theres foam ,should i just let the dying leaf rot?

4. FreshAquariums

Is the leaf completely brown and dead or is it half brown or something

5. OP
    OP
    a

some of it completely dead,some half dead,3/4 dead,1/4dead.

6. A

Aquarium Newb Valued Member Member

From the picture I van only see a couple of Brown spots, and yet not brown at that. I think the plants will be okay, and for the fishtank, I would do another water change (30-50%) every day to help with the cloudiness. Can you give us the water specs? Withthe ammonia nitrates and nitrites we may be able to help you better

7. OP
    OP
    a

the tank has been setup for 2 months i put the plants 2 weeks ago,pretty sure its already cycled.The water not cloudy at all,it just oily surface and foam is formed whenever theres dying leaves

8. FreshAquariums

id let it be

9. OP
    OP
    a

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate,i ran out of liquid from the last nitrate reagent bottle,i manage to add 1 drop and it turns out pretty high (not sure if that counts,the manual told me to add 6 drops),PH6,5 .The foam and oily surface has gone .Should i still remove the plant?

10. FreshAquariums

nah again, id let it be, but if it totally dies then yea remove it

11. OP
    OP
    a

its spread like cancer,half of the leaves below already dead though,i think i will remove it and replace it with another easy plants,is bacopa caroliana really that hard (just went out for vacation in 5 days and already dead )?i have low lighting setup

12. FreshAquariums

Bacopa caroliniana is one of the most popular and easily obtained plants in the aquarium hobby. Its reputation as an old standby is well-deserved, as it is quite undemanding. Its bold leaf structure and relatively slow-growth pattern make it a popular choice in aquascaping. It can be shaped at the discretion of the aquarist.
    Coloration is generally greenish yellow, but under intense light or in the upper portions of the aquarium, growing shoots will often gain a pinkish or copper-brown color.
    As with most plants, coloration is improved with regular iron and micronutrient dosing. CO[SUB]2[/SUB]and macronutrient supplementation will result in slightly faster growth, and leaves will be markedly thicker and larger.
    When cut or crushed, the plant produces a strong lemon-mint smell. B. caroliniana can also be kept in outdoor ponds or tubs. When allowed to grow in an emersed state, it will produce characteristic small purple flowers.

Notes: Several other Bacopa species are also popular in the hobby. In general, these plants are similar to caroliniana when it comes to structure and hardiness. Most are undemanding. Some (such as Bacopa sp. “colorata”) are more brilliantly colored, and others (such as Bacopa monnieri) have smaller individual leaf structures.
    credits to: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/aquatic-plants/species-profiles/bacopa-caroliniana.htm

13. OP
    OP
    a

i have to admit its a fast grower even in low lighting but it cant survive for few days without lighting.My moss and anubias seems fine without light for few days.I will go to vacation tomorrow for 2 days and no one will turn my lamp on for 2 days.Will it survive until then?

14. Aquarium Saturation

Aquarium Saturation Well Known Member Member

Probably not if no one will turn the light on at all, just get a friend or family member to turn it on for you.

15. OP
    OP
    a

some of my family are busy,my friends are in vacation.Looks like i have to tear down the plants

16. Aquarium Saturation

Aquarium Saturation Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure just leave them and see don't tear them down until you get back just so you can see if they're worse

17. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

Can you get a timer for the light? It doesn't need to be fancy, I got one at a hardware store for $4 USD. Then you won't need to worry about getting someone to come over to turn on the light.

18. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear about what happened. Honestly, I don't trust my tank to any one unless they are specialized pet sitters and even then I portion out the food to be given.

Honestly, for the future, if you go on vacation for less than a week, they are better off NOT being fed ( unless you have fry or fish that needs to be fed daily ) for the duration.
    Before I found my petsitter, for about 3 years I had to leave for 3-to 6 days on business and didn't feed during that time. My tank was fine.

Get yourself a timer too!

19. OP
    OP
    a

yeah i learn the hard way.When i came back home,they stop swimming and stay at bottom,after some water changes and rinse the filter with tank water,they seems better now (swimming around)

http://imgur.com/a/XFbY5 ,most bottom leaves already melting

20. FreshAquariums

I think the plant looks good, seriously wouldn't hurt to just leave it in there. if you come back an its dead then yea throw it out but for now nah :eek: