Disappointed With Professional Fish Keepers

1. alex11

alex11 New Member Member

Went to my lfs today while they normally are great and still have a great saltwater section I was very disappointed to see they had tutti frutti tetras aka tetras injected with dye labeled as glofish. When I looked in the planted tank section they had 2 silver arowanas that were very beat up and obviously dyed. When I asked the owner he said that was their natural color. When they bagged my puffer that I bought the water was bright blue and he was being housed with another species of puffer that was twice his size. Will not be going to Professional Fish Keepers for freshwater anymore they are the closest by a good 30 minutes and take very good care of their saltwater fish so they will still have my business for that but no way I will purchase freshwater fish from them again. It's worth the drive for healthier fish that are taken care of. Very disappointed in them for stocking fish that are dyed and then saying they aren't.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

glofish tetras are actually the name of tetras that come from the glofish company. I've never heard of arowana being dyed.

3. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

They were not glofish they had a thin line of color on the top and bottom looked nothing like a glofish but were labeled as such and had the description saying they were bred that way. have no problem with true glofish but injecting fish with dye is cruel and lying about it is worse. The arowana were labeled as strawberry and blueberry aros and looked really unhealthy.

4. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I've seen Strawberry Arowanas on ebay. Thought it was a terrible idea. After all, they are a cool fish just how they are. How wants a "cute" pink arowana?

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Gotcha. Glofish can be used to describe any kind of dyed fish that came from that company. Dyed fish are unnecessary anyway. Also, red and blue Arowanas are actually a thing. However, if they were all beat up that's no good.

6. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I love arowanas and have seen plenty definitely not a natural blue and the other one was hot pink. I should have taken pictures of them. Glofish are genetically engineered and I bred mine when i was in middle school and all the babies turned out green like the parents so I don't really have a problem with them they get a lot of kids into the hobby, They are what got me into the hobby. But injecting fish is cruel.

7. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello @alex11 and welcome to Fishlore. I live in Pompano Beach and also noticed that Professional Fishkeepers is declining in their freshwater stock. They started out really good about 9 months ago. I was there two weeks ago and they had just gotten their freshwater stock in and they were already in their display tanks. Some of the bettas especially looked unhealthy.

It's too bad.

8. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

@Donnerjay Do you have any stores you like in the area? My personal favorite is Exotic Aquatic, small but great service and they always have healthy fish.

9. Donnerjay

Yep, I went to Exotic Aquatic today. Their stock is healthy and Myriam knows a lot about freshwater.

I've visited the Pet Supermarket at Wiles Road and State Road 7. They have a good variety of unusual species and most of their stock is healthy. And I really like their new Betta display, which provides individual aeration for each betta's container.

10. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

Our Pet supermarkets in south florida seem to really have their fish sections together. The employees are hit or miss but the fish are healthy 90% of the time.

11. Donnerjay

Hi. I didn't notice any on this recent trip, but I have seen them there in the past. They might have had one, but I didn't look.