Disappearing Shrimp

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
I had about 11 cherry shrimp in a shrimp-only 2.5 gallon tank. Every single one is gone. I’ve checked all their decorations/plants, and they aren’t hiding in them. They used to hide in the filter compartment, so I checked in there, nothing. Same with the heater, no shrimp. Their tank is covered and there are no bodies in or around the tank. Any ideas what happened to them?

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What kind of filter is in the tank?

If they were hiding in the filter compartment does that mean there's not a prefilter covering the intake? If not, it's easy for shrimp to get sucked in and they can be killed by an impeller.

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
What kind of filter is in the tank?

If they were hiding in the filter compartment does that mean there's not a prefilter covering the intake? If not, it's easy for shrimp to get sucked in and they can be killed by an impeller.
They are in the Fluval 2.6gal shrimp tank, so it came with a mesh filter. There is a little mesh thing that blocks them from going in the top, but nothing covers the bottom intake, however the mesh filter is up right against it, so I don’t think there is room for them to get sucked in. Plus I’ve seen smaller shrimp sit on it looking for food and then swim away. The mesh filter sits on a little platform that is separated from the rest of the tank by a wall and the shrimp that I found in the filter area were chillin underneath the mesh, in the part that I circled in the picture. I’ve unplugged the filter and taken everything out, and not found any shrimp, dead or alive, in there.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to see some pictures of the whole tank?

They are good hiders. I hope they're safe somewhere just playing least in sight.

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
Would it be possible to see some pictures of the whole tank?

They are good hiders. I hope they're safe somewhere just playing least in sight.
As much as I’d love to think that, I honestly don’t think so They aren’t in the decor, I took it out to check for them. I was actually planning on getting some live plants and a piece of cholla wood for them today, but I guess there are no shrimp to buy for (my last 3 disappeared around Thurs/Friday, but I figured the would reappear, I guess not...)

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you taken the sponge out completely and looked in where thd put the media, the other thing that sponge is pretty course have the wriggled into it

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
Have you taken the sponge out completely and looked in where thd put the media, the other thing that sponge is pretty course have the wriggled into it
Yep, took it out -media and all- and looked through it with a flashlight to make sure I don’t miss anything. Nothing!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked at Amazon's reviews to see if anyone else mentioned missing shrimp. People said there were a few places they might go - into the intake of they're tiny, stuck in slits in the mesh, and behind the top near a sponge.

I'm not familiar with that tank but I have to think they're somehow getting into the filtration chamber... If there's an impeller in there you might not find their bodies. If they died out in the open you'd have seen at least some of them. Is there any other part of the filtration area that can be opened/searched?

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
UPDATE: I decided to take out the mesh filter again to check on them - and they were inside the filter media, like INSIDE THE BAGS BETWEEN THE WHITE CHUNKS LOL. I have no idea how my biggest one fit in there, but I got them out. I’m glad to have 3 of my shrimp back, but after suuuper careful inspection, I still can’t find the 8 others.

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
I'm glad you found some of them! Can you tell how they got back there?
I’m still not exactly sure, but I’m assuming they went in through the filter intake. I kinda think they went there on purpose though, because as I said before, I’ve seen them stand on it and then swim away pretty easily, so I don’t think they got sucked in. I have absolutely no idea how the largest one managed to squeeze in there though, she’s huge.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom