Disappearing Shrimp

LilDonut

Hey there!
So I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) 5 Crystal Red Shrimp. I drop acclimated and made sure to use salty shrimp. As of now I only have 2 and the other 3 are dead. I have found one of the shrimps remains however my snail are the others (good calcium and protein!). Anyways, I am super confused as to why these other shrimp have died. Everything else is doing fine except I did have 5 cardinal tetras and now only have 3 (which those 3 have ick however I’m treating with Seachem Metroplex which seems to be somewhat working...)
My reasons are:
PH: 7.4( or 6.8. I think they may have recently change our water but I’m pretty positive it is near 7.4)
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:>5
TDS: 206
Temp: 79.5
These are Crystal Red Shrimp which I know are delicate but I’m trying to figure this out if there is a problem. I use water conditioner, a AquaClear 30, my tank is established for a while, I use a prefilter sponge, It’s planted, it’s 10 gallons, I do weekly 25% water changes, I feed them pellets twice a week and feed them 2-3 each, I use VitaChem on their food, I do have a stag horn algae problem, I use flourish root tans, Imagitarium gravel, and Ultum Nature Systems plant fertilizer. My temperature never flucates and always stay between 79-80.

I do to many things LOL

Any advice would be great

~LilDonut

WTFish?

Are you absolutely sure the others are dead? They are super ninja at hiding if you have a lot of plants and decor. I keep mine a tad cooler at 75ish. I know higher temps will shorten the lifespan but over time, not two weeks. It’s seems you’re doing everything right and your parameters are fine. I’ve safely used metro with shrimp too so it shouldn’t be that.

Jellibeen

Do you know your gH and kH? Crystal shrimp need pretty low gH/kH, if I am not mistaken. I don't think that would kill them so quickly though. It may honestly simply be the stress of acclimating to a new space.

LilDonut

Are you absolutely sure the others are dead? They are super ninja at hiding if you have a lot of plants and decor. I keep mine a tad cooler at 75ish. I know higher temps will shorten the lifespan but over time, not two weeks. It’s seems you’re doing everything right and your parameters are fine. I’ve safely used metro with shrimp too so it shouldn’t be that.

Thanks! Yeah I am not sure what’s going on either. I think it may just be stress but I’m positive they are dead because I haven’t seen them and I spy all the time. I also pruned plants and still didn’t see them (plants needed a trimming anyway). Are you using metroplex right now and is it working? It doesn’t seem to work so well for me...

LilDonut

Do you know your gH and kH? Crystal shrimp need pretty low gH/kH, if I am not mistaken. I don't think that would kill them so quickly though. It may honestly simply be the stress of acclimating to a new space.

Yeah I am assuming it’s stress to but I wanted to get others opinions to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I do not have a gh oh test kit but I will be sure to pick one up!

WTFish?

Thanks! Yeah I am not sure what’s going on either. I think it may just be stress but I’m positive they are dead because I haven’t seen them and I spy all the time. I also pruned plants and still didn’t see them (plants needed a trimming anyway). Are you using metroplex right now and is it working? It doesn’t seem to work so well for me...
No, I’ve used it in the past also with zero success. Lol. Sorry I’m not more help, must be the stress

LilDonut

No, I’ve used it in the past also with zero success. Lol. Sorry I’m not more help, must be the stress
Ok... thanks anyways!

LilDonut

I’m unfamiliar with the fertilizer you mentioned...check for copper.

It has a very small amount of it...

Attachments

• A5A667EA-EDE1-4A6D-9095-1C18746CF95C.jpeg
    A5A667EA-EDE1-4A6D-9095-1C18746CF95C.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 82

WTFish?

It has a very small amount of it...
Hm yeah that’s not a problem at all. I’m reaching now. Haha

Crazycoryfishlady

I wouldn't rule them out as dead unless ypu see the bodies.
I have shrimp disappear for weeks at a time before they show up.
They have climbed into gravel, hidden inside tiny spaces in decor and rocks, or hidden in the roots of plants.

The only way to really know if they're dead is to hunt them down. Tear the tank down slightly and find the bodies.
Though it's possible with fish mates that they ate the bodies.

WTFish?

I wouldn't rule them out as dead unless ypu see the bodies.
I have shrimp disappear for weeks at a time before they show up.
They have climbed into gravel, hidden inside tiny spaces in decor and rocks, or hidden in the roots of plants.

The only way to really know if they're dead is to hunt them down. Tear the tank down slightly and find the bodies.
Though it's possible with fish mates that they ate the bodies.
Agreed, although my shrimp will eat the dead in minutes lol

LilDonut

Agreed, although my shrimp will eat the dead in minutes lol
Well my mystery snail I saw him eat one body but the rest I think he probaly ate and I didn’t see it...

WTFish?

Well my mystery snail I saw him eat one body but the rest I think he probaly ate and I didn’t see it...
Free snacks!

LilDonut

Lol... you have a baby snail problem to? I’m also trying to combat that to as I have at least 40 of them...

Attachments

• 42ED4DC7-E806-43A7-9B7E-889F76786EE7.jpeg
    42ED4DC7-E806-43A7-9B7E-889F76786EE7.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 98

WTFish?

Lol... you have a baby snail problem to? I’m also trying to combat that to as I have at least 40 of them...
Gorgeous shrimp! Seems you also have a nerite?

LilDonut

Gorgeous shrimp! Seems you also have a nerite?

It’s actually a mystery snail...

WTFish?

It’s actually a mystery snail...
No nerite at all? Those white eggs look identical. And mystery snails lay eggs in big clutches above the water.

Crazycoryfishlady

No nerite at all? Those white eggs look identical. And mystery snails lay eggs in big clutches above the water.

They may look like eggs, but upon closer inspection they're babies
(I think? Lol)

WTFish?

They may look like eggs, but upon closer inspection they're babies
(I think? Lol)
Ohh, like hatched babies! Fun!

LilDonut

No they are eggs. I had a hitchhiker snail that came from my LFS, I left him in there not knowing and now they left eggs like that all over. Now I have 40+ baby bladder snails...

WTFish?

No they are eggs. I had a hitchhiker snail that came from my LFS, I left him in there not knowing and now they left eggs like that all over. Now I have 40+ baby bladder snails...
I know I keep getting off topic but are you sure it was a hitchhiker bladder snail? My bladder snail eggs do not look like this but my nerites do.

Crazycoryfishlady

I know I keep getting off topic but are you sure it was a hitchhiker bladder snail? My bladder snail eggs do not look like this but my nerites do.
If they are eggs they aren't bladder snails! Lol

Maybe do a snail ID post?

WTFish?

If they are eggs they aren't bladder snails! Lol

Maybe do a snail ID post?
Agree, I still say nerite.

LilDonut

Agree, I still say nerite.
Well I did have some other odd looking snail that was also a hitchhiker which I’m not sure what it is... my big snail may be a entire but from what I know, it is a mystery snail. I will probably do a snail Id though...

WTFish?

Well I did have some other odd looking snail that was also a hitchhiker which I’m not sure what it is... my big snail may be a entire but from what I know, it is a mystery snail. I will probably do a snail Id though...
Yes, a photo may help this “mystery”...pun intended

bizaliz3

Those are definitely nerite eggs.

MelanieM

A lot of the meds say not to use in a tank with invertebrates. If they have died it may have been caused by your ick treatment. I'd suggest checking the label for a message along those lines

goldface

You have a nerite snail somewhere. Those eggs don't belong to either a Mystery or a Bladder snail. In fact, I suspect your Mystery is actually a Nerite.

LilDonut

A lot of the meds say not to use in a tank with invertebrates. If they have died it may have been caused by your ick treatment. I'd suggest checking the label for a message along those lines

Well the shrimp died before ick was even present so that couldn’t be the case but I will still check as my snail is acting kind of weird...

You have a nerite snail somewhere. Those eggs don't belong to either a Mystery or a Bladder snail. In fact, I suspect your Mystery is actually a Nerite.
I will get a snail id done in that case....

richiep

Drop aclamating crs is a big no no they will go into shock and die within two weeks as a rule, they should be dripped for around 6hrs, your water perameters are also out for them they need TDS130 PH6.5 GH4 or 5 KH3 they will live in tds of 206 but wount breed but if your gh is high you will have moult issues that will kill, your Betta will also kill them so they need plenty of cover, water temp is a little high it should be 73to76, the copper in the fertiliser is a trace element and shrimp need a certain ammount as copper carries oxygen around the blood stream, any chemicals and shrimp are a no in any of my tanks more so CRS
Edit just noticed your filter intake if the shrimp get cought in the current of the filter they will get stuck to those fins and drown the chances are they will not have the strength to swim away once cought up in the fins

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
dMog
Replies
Views
Otomatic
Replies
Views
erbear
Replies