Disappearing Pleco? Help

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by miss.mikn, Feb 11, 2019.

1. miss.mikn

miss.miknValued MemberMember

I went to clean my tank today and pulled out my cave and log only to find one of my two plecos. I searched everywhere in the tank trying to find it and still nothing. I very carefully cleaned the tank keeping an extremely close eye out and still nothing. Could the other pleco be the reason I can’t find one? Is there really any explanation for this?

2. CaptAnnDuchow

CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

I took everything and i mean everything except the sand out and couldnt find mine. Put everything back in and he was swimming around..they are like Houdini i swear.

3. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

It’s a thing that they do sometimes. I bet you anything that he’ll appear again. The explanation is that fish are able to teleport to other dimensions. Plecos are specifically very good at this.

4. OP
    OP
    miss.mikn

I should probably mention that I have only seen one for about a week (the one I was able to actually find yesterday I’d assume) and can usually find them both if their cave is removed. They are still pretty small - only about 1.5 inches - and do blend into the gravel a little. I’m hoping they’re both still in there but if one really is missing from the tank, would there be any explanation for it?

5. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

The most likely (serious) explanation would be that the Pleco died, and decomposed/was eaten before you noticed. It can happen, especially with smaller fish. Oh, and if you have a HOB filter, it wouldn’t hurt to check in there. You’d be surprised how often fish somehow end up in filters!

6. OP
    OP
    miss.mikn

I do have a HOB filter, that was the first place we checked when we couldn't find it! :( I'm pretty sure that it died (very sadly) and will not reappear :( I did need a bigger tank if I was going to keep them both much longer anyways so I guess that's my silver lining lol

7. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Hello, a pleco can climb if they can aquire a suction hold. I was using tetra 5-10i internal power filters. The male i have would climb the 2" above waterline, maneuvered around water pour spout, up into filter & snack on algae & biofilm. I took everything out of tank & about to take filter apart when I looked down & there he was looking back. Long-short I'd be looking outside of tank too if he has a way out(agile in & out of water). Hope this helps!