Disappearing oto

Mii

I had 3 otos, but lately have only been seeing 2, i figured it one died i would at least find a body, but so far no sign of it. Since they are scavengers, do you think corys would eat a dead oto?

UnknownUser

I believe so. Corys like protein. My harlequin rasbora died and I never found a body, I have 4 corys. What else is in the tank?

Mii

UnknownUser said:
I believe so. Corys like protein. My harlequin rasbora died and I never found a body, I have 4 corys. What else is in the tank?
Honey gouramis. They are the most docile fish ever, I don't think they'd kill anything.

UnknownUser

Mii said:
Honey gouramis. They are the most docile fish ever, I don't think they'd kill anything.
Haha that’s so funny, my tank ALSO has honey gouramis. Corys won’t kill something, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t eat a dead body on the bottom of the tank. Honeys are docile for sure wouldn’t kill anything, but mine eat frozen shrimp so they also like protein. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a nibble or two. As long as your ammonia doesn’t spike from a decaying body and your oto didn’t die of something contagious, I wouldn’t worry about it. But definitely try to find the body. Pick up the decorations because dead things go underneath them, and check inside the filter and a good few feet surrounding the tank. You’d be surprised how far a fish can get outside the tank. But since it’s an oto I highly doubt it escaped.

Mii

UnknownUser said:
Haha that’s so funny, my tank ALSO has honey gouramis. Corys won’t kill something, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t eat a dead body on the bottom of the tank. Honeys are docile for sure wouldn’t kill anything, but mine eat frozen shrimp so they also like protein. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a nibble or two. As long as your ammonia doesn’t spike from a decaying body and your oto didn’t die of something contagious, I wouldn’t worry about it. But definitely try to find the body. Pick up the decorations because dead things go underneath them, and check inside the filter and a good few feet surrounding the tank. You’d be surprised how far a fish can get outside the tank. But since it’s an oto I highly doubt it escaped.
My tank has a lid

Mii

I already searched the tank but i suppose in case there is a dead oto I'll do extra water changes and add extra prime because it detoxifies ammonia.

UnknownUser

Mii said:
I already searched the tank but i suppose in case there is a dead oto I'll do extra water changes and add extra prime because it detoxifies ammonia.
Sounds good. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Top Bottom