Disappearing Fish

1. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

Seriously how many of you know you put a certain fish in a certain tank and just never saw it again?

2. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Has happened to me once. Crazy.

3. OP
    OP
    C

I lost an extremely rare female like this when I moved her trying to save her... idunno if my tetras picked her apart or what. I never found a body

4. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

My Betta Spartacus flat out disappeared in one night. I fed him. I went to bed....20 hours later......gone. he was 2 years old. No....and I mean NO trace.

5. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I swear it just happened I could only find 3 albino cories thought I had 4 cories until my son reminded me.
    I lost 1 in my mind. LOL :;bananawater

6. OP
    OP
    C

Right... ?????

7. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

8. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

I just cleaned my canister for the first time. I already thought I had a lot of cherry shrimp babies. Apparently I got a ton of them thriving in between the sponges and media. I even found a fish fry, which I promptly netted and put in my shrimp only walstad tank. I'm pretty sure it's a white cloud minnow.

9. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

My betta dissapeared.

10. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

My dad was fish sitting for me an I had an 8" dojo loach in a bow front 30g with sand. He spent half an hour looking for that dumb fish, then raked the sand with a coat hanger to try and find her for another half hour before giving up. (Yes I freaked when he said coat hanger) An hour later he went back down and she was sitting on the sand happy as can be.

I used to have a 3" bumblebee catfish. It NEVER occurred to me for the longest time that *might* be why my danios kept disappearing.

Now I think back on that and it's like "duh!"

Even the Bumblbee I had recently would snatch up the neons when they got sick. They were the same size at the catfish. (Really small catfish)

11. OP
    OP
    C

There's a thought. I put a bumblebee in the same tank and I never see it either but I thought it was hiding from the breeding cockatoos. There's still plenty of surviving fry so I didn't think it would hurt.... but a catfish is a catfish!

12. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Bumblbees have the protential to be really bad for that. They have such big mouths. Others like a Raphael don't have nearly as large of a mouth but I think they get bigger.

13. OP
    OP
    C

What do I care he's only eating $30 fish right???? Ha!

14. queeqyo

queeqyo New Member Member

15. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

My baby mollies, wiggle, Alexa and Alonzo just disappeared. I knew Wiggle was ill and dying, but Alexa was a week old and Alonzo even less. I saw Alexa everyday for 3 days and then I only saw Coconut(Her sister). I assumed she died. Alonzo, I saw him for like 2 days and now I can only see a different little one in there. I'm not surprised, my mollies will eat them in an instant.

16. OP
    OP
    C

I heard a story about khulis that found their way into a undergravel filter... and bred in there! Totally unbeknownst to the keeper

17. Nigel95

Nigel95 Valued Member Member

18. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually when a fish disappears you will see a very tiny bone. Not even that sometimes. Could be anything really. Mating, hiding, dying, can't eat, etc.

19. OP
    OP
    C

I'd search more aggressively but I don't wanna disturb everything. If everything else looks good it's just a weird case of the system balancing itself out

20. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Can you believe I had a PLANT disappear?!

Tall, delicate plant that I knew wasn't going to make it. The goldfish were messing with it. But I checked on it and the stem was strong.

A few days later, a few leaves were floating around and the entire (5 inch?) stem and lower leaves were completely gone.