dirty water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by tejas, Aug 2, 2015.

1. tejasValued MemberMember

Hi , just got a 3 gallon bowl for my betta , bought him a sponge filter and airpump , substrate which is the natural look mayb its from a river bed im not to sure but the assistant said he's not sure so I bought it washed it a couple of time because it had some brown dirt on it the assistant said it was washed but I didnt want to take chances so I set everything up and decided to add water and the water started to get pale brown so I switched on the pump and hopeing the sponge cleans its been 2 hours and it is still brown, I googled it and google says use activated charcoal bt activated charcoal looks exactly like instant lite charcoal which u use to braai , my question is can I boil the instant lite charcoal and put it in the sponge filter , if not what can I do to remove the brown dirt?

2. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

I would definitely not use the instant light charcoal.

Activated carbon for aquariums is usually reasonable price wise. The sponge filter should clear up the browning in time. The activated carbon will help keep the tank clean and smell free.

I think Petco is currently having the $1 per gallon sale - you could get a 10 gallon tank for $10 and it would be easier to maintain and provide a better environment for your betta.

3. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

This is the last day for the sale, and I would definitely go for at least a 5gallon TANK, bowls are usually not too great for fish in general.

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Since it is a sponge filter, I'm not sure how you would use carbon other tank just putting a media bag of it in the water (not sure that would be very effective). I would not use Instant Light charcoal for fear that there is something added that makes it "instant light". Plus, I'm not even sure that charcoal used for grilling is the same substance as carbon that is used in aquariums. (If I recall from way, way back when I had a charcoal BBQ, water made the briquettes disintegrate.

I would highly recommend a tank of at least 10 gallons with a hand on the back filter.

Best of luck!

5. tejasValued MemberMember

Sponge filter seems to b cleaning it

6. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would recommend something larger, at least a 5-10 gallon tank to better control the water conditions for your betta. As for the browning, the sponge filter should clear it up in time, if not, just perform a large water change to remove the brown water. If the brown water continues to appear, then it is most likely leaching out from your substrate and you may have to rinse it better. Just to be cautious, how sure are you that the water is becoming brown because of the substrate? You didn't mention how long the bowl has been setup, but most people I know that have kept bettas in small bowls struggle with brown water ever few days because of overfeeding and fish waste.

As for charcoal, use activated carbon. They can usually be purchased in small mesh bags at your LFS, and you could place it on top of your sponge filter. The activated carbon would help clear up the water and control the smell of the bowl.

Good luck! :)