Dirty Water Even After 20-50% Pwc

Ondrea Culp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After a 35-50% pwc on my Fluval Spec 5 gallon aquarium that has nearly perfect water parameters per API Master Tester kit the substrate is still filthy if its disturbed even a tiny bit. I gravel vacuum every time which is why 10-20% only water change is nearly impossible.The siphon empties the tank way too quickly. Twice since getting the Fluval I have done 100% water changes still w/nothing but 2 medium Mystery/Apple snails in the tank gravel stays dirty.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can try taking a turkey baster and corral all the waste into one corner of the tank then put the siphon in to suck up most of it or you can build a small DIY siphon with 1/8" airline tubing and attach it to a skewer with an elastic and use a turkey baster to prime it then it'll suck out a ton less water. It's much more time consuming but you will be able to cover a bigger area before you run your tank too low with the bigger siphon. You can adjust the skewer just right to be lower than the hose to stir up the substrate and it'll go right into the hose once you begin.

Ondrea Culp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can try taking a turkey baster and corral all the waste into one corner of the tank then put the siphon in to suck up most of it or you can build a small DIY siphon with 1/8" airline tubing and attach it to a skewer with an elastic and use a turkey baster to prime it then it'll suck out a ton less water. It's much more time consuming but you will be able to cover a bigger area before you run your tank too low with the bigger siphon. You can adjust the skewer just right to be lower than the hose to stir up the substrate and it'll go right into the hose once you begin.

Thank you, but WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE. Obviously I will NOT be putting a fish of any type in the Fluval :-(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom