Dirty tank

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by Hamham, Aug 8, 2015.

1. HamhamNew MemberMember

I've always heard that we should only change up to 25% of the water(when do water change) since my tank is kinda greenish and dirty. I was thinking to do more than that. Like Can I do 85-95% or the whole tank???
    Plzz help!

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That's definitely not true. The % water change performed is often based on personal preference, water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), and appearance. Often it's 10-50%.

You also don't want to overdo it though, and 95% could be overdoing it for some tanks. Is this for the 20 gal? What fish do you have in there?

3. KasyeValued MemberMember

You can definitely go over 25%, I usually do about 50% on my larger tanks. I wouldn't recommend doing the whole tank though.

4. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I usually end up removing between 50 and 75% of the water in my aquariums when doing a water change because it's hard to get the gravel vacuumed as thoroughly as I'd like without draining quite a bit out.

As long as the replacement water matches the pH, mineral content, temperature, etc., of the water you drained, so there won't be too much shock, it doesn't seem to be any problem.

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice