Dirty looking gravel.

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Hey. So in both my tanks, my gravel looks 'dirty, with pieces looking discoloured i clean it with each water change. Both tanks are cycled, is it algae and how can i stop it happening?! Thanks :)

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
I have white gravel that does this. I really notice it when i start getting algae on the sides by the gravel line. Looks much better after i clean. As far as the rest, i just vac like normal and cleaner rocks come to the surface. After awhile though seems like the friction from the rocks tumbling together plus the water seems to get them clean(er) over time.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have white gravel that does this. I really notice it when i start getting algae on the sides by the gravel line. Looks much better after i clean. As far as the rest, i just vac like normal and cleaner rocks come to the surface. After awhile though seems like the friction from the rocks tumbling together plus the water seems to get them clean(er) over time.
Okay thank you! :)

juniperlea

Well Known
White gravel is beautiful, but it shows. Same as a white towel or sheet. The algae explains part of the coloration. That's a water quality issue, good and bad. Anyway, I'd ditch the white gravel.

mimo91088

Well Known
In my opinion as long as you don't have problem algae growth elsewhere, then when the substrate turns all sorts of brown and green it's just a sign of a healthy ecosystem. I don't use gravel anymore, but when I did I'd just let all those microorganisms thrive and never cleaned it more than an occasional gravel vac.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mimo91088 said:
In my opinion as long as you don't have problem algae growth elsewhere, then when the substrate turns all sorts of brown and green it's just a sign of a healthy ecosystem. I don't use gravel anymore, but when I did I'd just let all those microorganisms thrive and never cleaned it more than an occasional gravel vac.
Thank you

New Threads