"dirty" Inverts For 3-fish Planted Nano?

1. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 Valued Member Member

Sorry for making 2 posts here in one day, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for some good non-fish poop machines to add to a fairy low-tech planted nano? My tank is 5.5g with a gravel bed, a single Coralife 50-50 bulb, and Flourish in tabs and in the water column. The current stocking is 3 scarlet badis and a sizeable population of "pest" ramshorn snails that are doing a great job at keeping the algae away, as well as whatever blackworms have escaped the jaws of the badis and are living in the substrate. I was originally thinking of adding a couple more vertebrate livestock, but seeing how territorial the badis get, I'm thinking of leaving them as the only fish. Unfortunately, they're really not very dirty, which would be great if I wasn't trying to grow plants, so I was wondering if there were any "dirty" inverts that would produce some more fertilizer for the plants without bothering the badis. Maybe an assassin snail to keep the ramshorns in check? I'll look for a macro fertilizer if I need, but I'd rather go the more "natural" route so I don't have to worry about manually dosing as much.

And of course, here's a picture of the tank, since what thread is complete without one? ;)
    5g29-7.jpg

2. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    DeltaDawn37

Hmm, mystery snails might be fun. I'm avoiding shrimp in this tank at least until I get some moss or pellia, though

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I'll bet you could find someone selling moss pretty easily. Especially when you hit 50 posts and can use the BST forum. I have purchased moss from a couple of members and someone even gave me some recently because they are awesome :D Mine will occasionally mess with the moss but really they use the hornwort to sit on or the driftwood to hide under after molting and they eat biofilm and algae wafers I put in. They are really easy shockingly. I have 2 purple and 2 magenta mystery snails. I'm hoping they will give me a clutch or 20 when they get just a little bigger xD

5. OP
    OP
    DeltaDawn37

Yeah, moss is pretty easy to find, I just haven't quite decided on a type yet or how to attach it...also I'm super paranoid about getting live plants from new sources because I don't have a qt, even though I rinse with H2O2 when I get stuff from different sources, lol. Do you think the snails or the shrimp have a higher bioload, though?

6. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Snails have a higher bioload than shrimp from what I know.

I recommend susswassertang. It's really cool looking and it feels awesome.
    You can attach it to stuff by pressing it against whatever you want to attach it to and wrapping sewing thread around it to hold it in place.

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Poop and food might do alright for really low tech tanks, but they don't contain significant amounts of potassium (third NPK macro) as far as I know.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd second the idea of a mystery snail.