Dirty Hands in a formerly clean fish tank!

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

I run a home daycare and caught one of my young charges (3 years old) washing his grubby little hands in MY FISH TANK!:mad: His hands were reasonably clean before hand (or so I hope) and my tank is fishless, but I'm wondering now if he contaminated the tank. I was planning on buying new fish tommorow complete with Tetra safe start. Should I now maybe put off my plans? Do a water change? What do you guys think?

2. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

If his hands had soap on them then I would drain the water out and start over. Since you were going to add TSS anyway cleaning it all with warm water and elbow grease wouldn't hurt.

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I'd be more concerned about soap/lotions/etc. that might have been on his hands. (I'm soooo not a tiny kid person. Bless you for running a day care. Couldn't do it in a million years.)

I'm not sure how this would affect your tank because you don't have fish in there. I'm not sure if you can just let it keep cycling, and then do a massive water change at the end, before the fish go in, or if any stuff on his hands would harm the cycle.

IF you're going to add fish tomorrow with TSS, then I'd definitely drain and rinse it just to be safe. I'd hate to have any soap in there kill your fish AND you TSS. :-\ If you drain and add new water (with conditioner) let it sit 24hrs before adding TSS. Have you seen that TSS link for proper use: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html? (Just in case.) :)

4. Jackie Frost Member Member

No there was no soap on his hands. But we just came home from an indoor playground (McDonalds to be exact) and I know his hands could not have been the cleanest in the world. Maybe I should do a water change?

5. alicem Member Member

Sure, why not do a water change? It wouldn't hurt a thing and
    it sounds like you'd feel alot better about it. :;hf
    It'd be a simple fix, really. Do it for your peace of mind.

Now, a new setup, this is exciting! I'm curious about it...
    What fish are you getting? How big is the tank? Are you adding any live plants?
    Will the little tots have access to it? Don't let the little stinkers tap on the tank.
    :animal0028:
    inquiring minds in Illinois,
    alicem

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

your post made me laugh out loud. I can just picture the 3 -yr old. :;laughing

When I first asked my 4-year old what he thought of getting a fish tank, he got really excited, "Oh, yay, Mommy! Now I can get a fishing pole just like on Curious George!"

I think your water is probably fine, but couldn't hurt to do the water change. Better safe than sorry. And kids are germ factories... they wipe their noses with their hands.