Dirty Fish Species

DestinyStars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquariums are a lifetime passion of mine, and now I have a project I am beginning. I have two established tanks, one is 125 gallons and another is a custom 100 gallon. The 125 has 3, 8" plecos and 1 7" koi. I have a strange request. For my custom tank I am doing an experiment and need a fish that will destroy the tank safely. Im talking algea, slime, just absolutely nasty. I will be doing controlled experiments on the algea and water. After the tank reaches prime disgust, I will be rehoming the fish to my 125 gallon tank to live a cleaner lifestyle. But I need the fish to do 3 things. 1, it needs to be and happy turning a tank to trash. 2, it will need to fairly hardy species. And 3, it will need to be capable of not killing my KO I and plecos. If I end up needing to buy another aquarium to house the fish alone it can be done. I just need a list of fish that are disgusting in short. Anyone have ideas?

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's an interesting request! As far as I know, algae comes about through the air, not from fish. I would recommend overdosing a tank of ferts, and then leaving the light on too long. You'll have algae in no time! (Or you can take the stuff that's clogging up my pea puffer tank)

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting. Hopefully, it won't be too detrimental to the fish's health to live in squalor. I hope you are doing something else with the koi. It will need a much larger permanent home.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't get 10 full grown koi since they need a much larger space. I can't think of disgusting fish but I think the only way the tank will become nasty is if you don't maintain it at all

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The messiest fish I know of is what you already have. I suggest you simple leave the lights on 24/7 and skip a few water changes. This will result in high nitrates and the algae should bloom with the extra levels lighting. Hypothetically the algae will feed off the nitrates, keeping the levels safe enough for the fish.

DestinyStars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone! And yes, my koi will be moving to my fathers indoor koi pond at his business soon. It will have plenty of room to max out its growth there. I just like raising them from babies at the house before they go in with the monsters But thanks for the tips! 10 koi seem 5 too many. For as long as I keep them, even with a 100-125 gallon they need space to get big. But, I'm a big fan of nearly empty aquariums anyways.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom