Dirty Aquarium Water in Eyes

Goose61

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my tank earlier today today and while doing so, splashed water in my eyes. Normally I wouldn't get too concerned about this, but in this case there was a sizable detritus worm population in the tanks (thus the reason for the cleaning). I rinsed my eyes out with almost a bottle's worth of eye irrigation solution (boric acid, sodium borate, NaCl and benzalkomium chloride). Didn't know if that would be enough, or if I needed to seek an eye doctor's advice.

Best Answer - View Demeter's answer

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you irrigate your eye after? If you are in Canada, you can get polysporin eyedrops otc for peace of mind.

You might have to wait it out and see. I really hope it's a non issue!

OP
G

Goose61

Reaction score
Yes, I did irrigate my eyes with the above solution (it's kinda buried in the middle of the post).

As for Polysporin, I'm familiar with it, although I don't think I've ever seen the eyedrops here in the States (just the ointment), although I'll definitely look into them.

SamanthaJane

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used to worry about that but then I remembered, I open my eyes when I swim in lakes and ponds and I'm alive!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I splashed a little bit of filthy tank water (pitch black from rinsing the sponge) into my eye today and drank a little fish water while starting the siphon, no harm done.

I'd be more concerned about the chemicals we add to our tanks than the critters that live in them.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Demeter said:
I splashed a little bit of filthy tank water (pitch black from rinsing the sponge) into my eye today and drank a little fish water while starting the siphon, no harm done.

I'd be more concerned about the chemicals we add to our tanks than the critters that live in them.
I Always say that, until you swallow a little dirty tank water, you are not a true fish keeper. Its a rite of passage. Also it helps with your immune system.
When the Zombie apocalypse happens, all fish keepers will be able to drink aquarium water.

JasonOz

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think everybody who spends enough time in this hobby will drink/get splashed by a ridiculous amount of water. Think of it as an immune system building exercise.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure, from my time in the states, that polysporin eye drops are not available otc. It makes no sense that we can get that here and you can't. Hope you stay well.

New Threads