dirty 10 gallon plant blog | Page 3

Discussion in 'allaboutfish' started by allaboutfish, Nov 13, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

sooo i must be doing something right :) i have two berried RCS(that i know of), and one of my pygmy sunfish looks like he's getting his breeding colors, and my rotala is turning red. im getting more silver cabomba friday, and i added java fern and a black background.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Awesome! I'm glad every things going good :D Shrimpy eggs are always good ;D

Sorry its gunna take so long to get the Killies to you! I hope we get a warm spot soon, so you can have them sooner :innocent0001:

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

haha its ok :)

4. Akari_32

The tank looks really good! I can see it now, all filled in *.* Baby shrimp every where you look... XD

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

haha, how fast will java fern grow in highlight?

6. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

male's getting darker hopefully his fins will turn blue or ill be disapointed :( everglades just arent as pretty.
    so my final list of plants
    pygmy chain sword
    rotala rotundifolia
    silver cabomba
    flame moss
    peacock moss
    frogbit
    Hygrophila pinnatifida (hasnt grown much since i got it so we'll see how it does)
    java fern

7. Akari_32

I haven't noticed a change in growth between high and low lights for Java Ferns. In high lights, its leaves turn lighter (rather than the dark, rich green in low light tanks), and accumulate algae.

I hope you get what you wanted D=

That list sounds nice! The tank'll look really good when it fills out :D

8. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

last picture update until surprise!!!

so i have a little surprise in store and would like to leave this as my last pictures until the tank has filled in. ill update on progress and still ask questions, but its a surprise ending and i think yall will like how it turns out. so here are your last pics enjoy

9. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

adding frogbit is def necessary. it will help with the nitrates etc. i think you should have more plants. it should be planted pretty heavily right from the start.

also, the walstad is about low tech, not co2 injection. are you still planning this? looks nice though :)

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

probably no Co2 unless i have algae issues. i have rotala mini butterfly, and Hydrocotyle sibthorpioide on the way. also have riccia but i need some hairnets before i add it. im scared to float it bc it might go all of the tank. also will have peacock and fame moss soon, but i dont know if ill use the flame moss in this tank. should i chunk in some anachris for now? why exactly do you need to heavily plant it from the start?

11. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

well the idea of the NPT is to let the plants be the filter, and the more plants there are, the more effectively they can filter. unless you're going to use an actual filter until the plants grow in, then it might not be as big a deal....

12. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

theres a filter on there. i dont plan on taking it off either.