dirty 10 gallon plant blog

Discussion in 'allaboutfish' started by allaboutfish, Nov 13, 2011.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

so this will be my first dirt planted tank using the walstad method.
    the stock will be;
    fish;
    3-male endlers
    3-gilberti pygmy sunfish
    1-2-CPO's or other dwarf crayfish
    2-nerite snails
    1-pygmy trapdoor snail(maybe)
    RCS

plants;
    silver cabomba
    rotala r
    pygmy chain sword
    rotala macranda japanese red
    java moss
    anubius
    heres what the tank looked like. hopefully ill switch it to dirt today or tomorrow, and the gilberti should be here wednesday or thursday.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Are going to keep the same or similar lay out? I really like it like that :D

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

no. i dont know why people like this layout. i just threw it together real quick to try and stop aggression between gold rams(didnt work). i might do somethng similar, it just doesnt leave alot of room for plants. i was thinking on rock pile in the middle and maybe some DW.

4. Akari_32

I think leave the pile in the back, and get a piece of driftwood for the other side, and have it set a little bit more back from where the other rock pile is.

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

there wont really be enough room for all of the plants if i leave it back there. ill probably more it into the middle and put the stem plants in the back, the pygmy chain sword in the front, and the java moss and anubius's in the rocks or something. i still dont know what im gonna do with the java moss. i was thinking of tieing it to a ping pong ball and letting it float, but i dont know how well that would look

6. Akari_32

I just kinda let my moss do its own thing (at first I thought it was algae LOL).

I have a very small piece of it shoved up in my driftwood, in hoped that it will soon spread around all over it, and there are two or so more pieces just laying in the gravel. They're already taken hold, and are quite happy there :)

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i think ive decided ill use fishing line to tie it to a stryofoam ball and then attach rgw fishin line to a rock.

8. Girlsbeforefish

GirlsbeforefishWell Known MemberMember

Your rock layout would be perfect for kuhlis to
    Zip in and out. You should do that to a larger tank and get kuhlis :D

9. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i think i have enough tanks LOL

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

totally forgot about the killifish in the stocking.(i have two juvies)
    3-male endlers
    3-gilberti pygmy sunfish
    1-2-gardneri biassa killifish (depending on gender, i dont want a pair)
    2-CPO or other dwarf cray
    2-nerite snails
    1-pygmy trapdoor snail(maybe)
    RCS
    im probably getting the miracle grow organic potting mix tomorrow. do they usually carry it at walmart? i can probably try home depot too. gilberti pygmy sunfish should be here wednesday or thursday. i havent heard back from the seller today.hopefully ill get the DIY Co2 up and running soon. might get some cool looking DW for the tank, but havent decided. cant wait to get this tank going.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  11. Akari_32

I used EarthGrow brand top soil. Its sold at WalMart, and is super cheap.

12. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

is that safe? did you have good results? if i cant find the miracle grow i could get that as long as it didnt kill any of your fish

13. Akari_32

It worked great. All it is is dirt. And rocks and animal poo and clay chunks and sticks... lol Its a little bit of messy work to get ready, but its, IMO, a safer bet than other dirts. Its not processed to have the chunky stuff removed, so theres very little chance that it comes into contact with bad stuff.

14. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

ok cool

15. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

updated pics!!! oh and updated stock
    3-pygmy suns
    1-pygmy or least killifish(got him for free, how do you tell the difference?)
    6-pygmy corys
    3-endlers
    RCS
    nerite snails

16. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i hate how the sand makes a glare

17. Akari_32

Pygmy Killifish (There are Least Killifish in there, but you can't see them). These are all female. Males will be yellow.

Young male Least Killifish (to the left of center, being ninja on the driftwood)

Your tank looks great!

18. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

ok i have a least killifsh. they dont need groups right? also he has a crush on one of my other species of killifish haha but she'll get way bigger and probably eat him. thanks!! im hoping to see an explosion of plant growth but i still need a floating plant(my najas might work but they dont really float with the filter on), and thinking about buying a lush java fern for the middle back, maybe.

19. Akari_32

Neither of them needs groups, as I far as I have seen. They do like to hang out together, though. Mostly, the Least Killi males hang out with the Pygmy, when they aren't flirting up the females Least Killies LOL I have noticed with all livebearers, though, that they do enjoy the company of their own kind.

When it warms back up in a few months, I would gladly send you a few more if you wanted :) I could also send you floating plants :giggle:

20. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

do you think my stock would allow a couple more least killis? i might just upgrade to a 20 high. ive wanted one alot lately.