Dirting It Up, have a Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by DTurner, Jul 9, 2015.

1. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

Hey Guys,

So I'm planning a Dirt Tank. i have never done it before and I have purchased the dirt, red flourite (clay based for iron) and a Black Sand top.

Now my question is this. How should I prepare the Dirt. Should I mix the Flourite and Dirt then cap it with sand. Or should I layer the dirt with flourite then the flourite with sand.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

David

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

If I remember right it goes Dirt, then clay, then cap. Have you read Diana Walstads book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium? Definitely a must read book for dirted tanks. You can find the kindle version for around $10 and its worth 10 times that in my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting that book. Sounds like a must read for this hobby.

4. Bluestreakfl

Its a very good book. It goes into extreme detail regarding dirted tanks, planted tanks, and the chemistry of it all. Quite fascinating stuff.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Oh that sounds like something I should read. I'm slowly trying to read up on the science of the planted tank.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would cap it with the dirt, the Flourite and then the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks brandon. That is most likely the way I'm going to go.

What are your guys take on minimal cap depth. So the front I only will have able 3/4" of dirt another quarter to half inch of flourite. Can I get away with 1/4" of sand to cap or do you recommend a good half inch cap minimum?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Bluestreakfl

I'd say it in part depends what your keeping as far as stock. If it's just inverts and small peaceful schooling fish you could get away with a thinner cap. If you're going with larger fish, or any kind of bottom dweller like loaches, Cories, or a pleco, you'll want a much thicker cap as otherwise they'll stir the sand and fluorite together.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice