Dirtied tank

1. Zackary Initiate Member

Hey Im trying to get new substrate form my 20 gallon and was wondering how would i set up a dirtied tank? How high would I put the dirt? How would i clean it? Would it affect water clarity? Also would it affect guppies/platies? Im planing to use the organic MiracleGro dirt because lot of people have success with it or at least i think. So many articles online very confused any help would be much appreciated really want my plants to not only survive but also thrive!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. virusmk Well Known Member Member

You can clean it with vacuuming your substrate more frequently and deep.
    It would make water cloudy for a while but it would settle in few hours timie.

With the rest of it i cant help you too much as i dont have much of experience

Hope that this helps

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

I would suggest looking up Dirted tank right here on fishlore. And for even more results just type in Dirt Tank in the fishlore search bar. there are a ton of threads where others have done the same thing and you should find some good information there.

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

If you're looking at a heavily planted tank, you don't need to do gravel vacuuming. It's actually running counter to what is best for the tank. The plants use the debris you vacuum up as a food source.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You should Google the Walstad method and read up carefully on how it is done correctly. A common mistake among fish keepers is not having enough patience. It can take months to do it well if you are going to use organic miracle grow potting soil with a sand cap.

It is for this reason alone that I use eco-complete and Flourite in my Walstad-inspired tanks. I don't like to spend more than two or three hours setting up tanks since my livebearers breed too quickly :p

6. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Dustin's Fish tanks channel on youtube also has some great tutorials on dirted tanks.

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I just dirted my tank a week ago and I'm getting ready to put fish in it now. It's all over YouTube exactly step-by-step how to do it. Do not use sand. The guy at the fish store told me to get sand but when I watched more videos it said not to. I have a 1 inch of garden soil and about 1 inch of gravel. Everyone says potting soil but I already had the garden soil.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404956657.904477.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum