Dirted Tank Substrate Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neutral-Waterinos, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

So I wanted to try a dirted tank, I already have a thirty gal that is well planted with a sand substrate which sand even though being inert is being fertilised by the MTS. So I don’t quite understand what to do so I grabbed a bunch of dirt and cleaned it out thoroughly soaked it and ran it under a hose till it was clear repeated that process three times and placed some crushed osmocote underneath. Without thinking I grabbed my glosso seeds and began planting, before I realised my substrate was just 1.2 inches deep! :( is there anything I can do? I’m using indirect sunlight for this tank as I realised that the sun doesn’t directly hit my room but reflects into it, but it’s still pretty darn strong. Is 1.2 inches deep enough for these plants? Maybe i could cover the seeds with 2cm more dirt, To get it to 2 inches? But then will the glosso be able to bust out through the soil... the tank is five gallons large.

Any help regarding dirted tanks in general is appreciated I’m super confused. Cheers lads

Attached Files:

2. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I would so the dirt with sand.

You can plant with roots in dirt but the base of the plant in sand.

3. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Oh why is this? In order to prevent the dirt from rising? Sure I’ll put some sand on top how much should I do? Like CM wise.

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I would personally put about half an inch, or under two centimeters.

5. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Thank you so much so do you reckon 1.2inches is dirt is enough for the glosso to sustain itself?

6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I personally think that's just fine.

7. SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

About an inch of dirt is perfect. If you add anymore dirt you could have problems with anaerobic bacteria/conditions. You need to cap it (preferably with sand or small gravel) to prevent the dirt from rising or you'll have a big messy mess on your hands. I recommend getting some needle nose tweezers for planting, makes it much easier to get plants into the substrate without stirring up a lot of dirt in the process.

8. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Cheers mate, your a legend.

9. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Woah thank god, I thought the roots needed more room to grow? I guess not : D Wow I feel lucky now, uh yeah I have tweezers but the Glosso are in the form of seeds so I won't be touching the dirt anymore in terms of planting : ). So now all I have to do is cover the seeds with around 1.5cm of sand. I'm just worried the seeds won't be able to bust through the sand, but I'll give cap it off with sand anyways.

thanks heaps mate.

10. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Just FYI, glossostigma doesn’t come from seeds. Frankly, carpeting seeds from online are lies. It’s not clear what they actually are. Some people grow them submersed without issue, some people report melting, some have them grow into stem plants.

11. Neutral-WaterinosValued MemberMember

Woah no way? I did have some and it grew quite big in dim lighting granted the leaves were discoloured etc but it was very hardy. I’m so confused what could it be then? This is what it looks like in small form carpeting the ground in my bowl and in big form in the five gal previously. Man this sucks but I know for a fact this plant is aquatic, it also has seeds for reproduction so that’s pretty cool. Thanks for the help mate : )

Ok with a little bit more research i found these ‘glosso’ appear to be Hygrophillia Sp some sorta flowering’s swamp plant, still pretty cool tho, can’t wait for it to flower. Btw just thought I’d show to another guy who bought another brand of glosso seed, pretty terrifying stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  12. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, real glosso is a high tech plant :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice