Dirt under sand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by DTAdventures, Jul 12, 2015.

1. D

DTAdventures New Member Member

I have seen the other dirt and sand posts but didn't quite find the info I was looking for in it that is a concern for us.

Currently we have Panda Corries in a tank with gravel that seems to be giving them issues and we really like these little guys, we are making plans to set up a tank with a sand substrate. We also would like to make this a planted tank. Our current tank has dirt with clay then Gravel as a cap. We are thinking of doing dirt with sand on top.

Question is will the dirt and other organic matter in it (like twigs, and other items found in organic soil) mix into the sand and end up on top/poking through giving the corries some issues?

Also how thick of a lair of sand? I have read different reports, some say make it thicker so that you don't have to worry about the corries digging around and mixing your substrates, others say to make it thinner as the thicker sand will cause more gas build up under the substrate, which this could cause a problem if a bubble of this build up comes up and hits a corry in the face.

I am also researching what type of sand to use, seems a lot of folks use pool filter sand, anyone have experience with this and corries?

The other tank mates will most likely be our female Beta, and narite snail, not sure if this is a tank set up you would want to put any MTS into.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys, though they don't dig more than a centimetre or so deep will over time mix the top layers but I can't see it being a problem for them though it may look unsightly, mine managed to bury all the oak leaves & I have bits sticking up all over the place with no ill effect.
    On a side note Panda corys won't like the high temperature the Betta needs as they prefer it cooler.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I don't think the twigs and stuff should be a problem for the cories. But you can always "filter" the dirt by using a strainer. It will remove any twigs and other stuff, you will get pure dirt. Always use a thicker cap over the dirt. Like an inch of dirt and 1 1/2 inch of sand. Yeah I use pool filter sand and have cories, the sand works very well and my cories love it :). I wouldn't recommend a betta as a tankmate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    D

DTAdventures New Member Member

Thanks for the info! I forgot about the temperature difference between the betta and the panda corries, glad you guys said something.

What is your opinion on the MTS being needed in a sand set up, is t he sand too dense for them to go in and out?

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've never kept MTS snails, they are known to dig up the sand. They help with any dead air pockets in sand I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As long as your substrate isn't too deep then it shouldn't be a problem, mts do tend to reproduce quite quickly especially if you overfeed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice