Dirt, Im doing it wrong....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Witchydesign, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

Ya im doing something wrong... Lost just about everything. Still have some bacopa, and some odd red plant i havent identified but its realllly happy so i havent touched it, So im missing my activ flora. Im going to replant but whatever im doing is wrong. Also i have to (daily) poke the substrate to release gas bubbles. Its a bit ridiculous. I might end up just redoing it... again... with what i have in the cabinent. Im not happy with it and only two plants are thriving. I even lost my radioactive bananna plant that has survived everything.

So right now i have dirt, capped with sand, and two pieces of manzanita, maybe 5 stems of bacopa, one odd red plant, a sprig of wisteria i just put in a few days ago, and another random plant i know is a lowlight but its super happy. maybe i just need different plants...would mts help with the gas bubbles?

Ugh im so annoyed with this tank. Also my water parameters are fine, i upped my water changes due to nitrate spikes, theyve been hovering around 20-30 now that ive upped the changes. Sois this just because its only been dirted a little over a month? well closer to two... So annoyed right now. im about to toss some extra javafern and some others from one of the tanks i just broke down, it needs some green. Sigh, any advice?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Sorry that it didn't work out. When you dirted the tank, did you moisten the dirt and pat it down? I didn't have problems with any air bubbles

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

Yep, got nice and muddy, evenly capped with about an inch of sand. If i dont poke it every day or so you can see where the bubbles are forming because the whole substrate rises in places.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I see, I don't have experience with dirting with sand. I used gravel, if it seems that the dirted tank won't work our try redoing it. Do you want to use sand or would you like to try with gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

That's really weird. I've only had one dirt tank, and the plants took off like crazy from day one. This has probably been asked at some point, but what's your lighting and how long is it on for? What's your stock? What kind of dirt?

6. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

How deep is the soil bed? And the sand? Should be an inch each. Maybe too deep and you are getting toxic gas buildup, rotting away your roots? Walstad discusses this in her book. Also what kind of soil did you use? Maybe too "hot", ie to many fertilizers in it that are rapidly decomposing in your tank.

7. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Also, is that a list of plants of what's left in the tank? When I first read the list I thought that's too few plants. Maybe you had more to begin with ?

8. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

There was about ten times that many when i started, the whole back wall was covered with stems. i had my radioactive bannana plant, wisteria, i attempted a carpet of dhg which didnt last.... also a few others that were all given to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice