Dirk's new digs

1. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

So, I finally decided that since I want the 20gL as a small community tank (centered around Summer, the GBR), that I would do some tank juggling and give Dirk his own tank. I had originally planned on setting up what I thought was a spare 10gal that I had, but the tank ended up being a 5.5gal and I didn't want to put him in something that small, plus the 'scape I had planned for him wouldn't have worked in a 5.5gal. So, I moved my female VT, Kit, that was in the 10gal into the 55gal and re-'scaped the 10gal for Dirk.

I mixed the CaribSea Moonlight sand (white) that was in there with some of the black sand I had in another tank I had decommissioned a while back, then plopped in my big piece of rainbow rock that one of my friends gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago and this ship bubbler that I got with a tank I bought at a garage sale when I first got into the hobby. I wish I could hook up the bubbler, but it has this super micro airline coming out of it that I can't find an adapter for. Anyway, I also planted some jungle val from my 55gal in the tank, as well as one bunch of anacharis that I bought last night at Petsmart.

I am liking how the tank turned out and Dirk seems happy now that he's gotten used to the fact that he doesn't have as much space as he did.

FTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dirk (he still won't hold still enough for me to get a decent pic of him!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, do you think I should put more val in the tank? Maybe get some more anacharis? The anacharis they had at Petsmart was kinda weak and only had a few stems to each bunch, but I saw some at Petco that looked really good. And I can always pirate more val out of the 55gal. That stuff grows like a weed in there and I kind of want to contain it to one side of the tank anyway, so taking some out would not be a problem. I also have some hygrophila augustafolia (I think that's how you spell it) floating in the 55gal because my goldfish wouldn't let it take root. Do you think that would look good in this tank?

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Just bumping up. Would love to hear some opinions on the tank 'scape. I'm tempted to put more val in there, but I know from experience in my 55gal how quickly it can take over, so I don't want to overcrowd it *too* much.

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

looks like the perfect amount of hidy holes and open space. Maybe a top cover to make some shade?? Hes a gorgeous little HMPK. I love marbles. Btw, if you didnt already know, im almost 99% Positive hes a marble, expect color change.

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure what you mean by "top cover." The tank has a full hood on it. The lighting is one 15W florescent bulb (I think that's this hood...I've honestly had so many 10gals in the past few years that I forget which is which lol). Once the val takes off, it'll provide some shade, as it likes to "pool" on the surface (which is something I'm counting on).

As for him being a marble. I'm positive he is. I've had a few marbles in the past and know how drastically they can change. I had one male that went from being a mostly white dragon with hints of blue and red in his fins to being mostly blue with just white on his head and a touch of red "spotting" on his fins...all in just a month or two.

5. Shine Well Known Member Member

I think Sol was referring to something like duckweed as 'top cover'. Once the vals grow in they should certainly supply the same thing though. Not that I have had that experiance! lol--all of mine tends to die on me. It grows like crazy when I first get it, then a couple months later it starts thinning out and gets progressively shorter till theres nothing left... *sigh*

Can't believe the size of that rock, all the ones I have are fist sized or smaller. It certainly adds more 'presence' to the tank with the height. And Dirk is a looker :)

6. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

So, I added a nice big bunch of anacharis and the hygro that I had to the tank. I am almost thinking I want to get some micro sword for the front? I don't know.Tell me what you think. I know you can't see the hygro (planted it behind the rock), but it should grow up from behind the rock and look pretty cool.

BTW, Shine, my friend found that rock in a neighbor's yard and asked them if she could have it to give to me for Christmas. lol

FTS:
    [​IMG]

And some better shots of Dirk...I know he looks bloated, but he's not...he just ate. lol
    [​IMG]
    You can REALLY see his blue in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

That new bunch of anacharis really helped the aquascape. I think the 'scape needed something bigger on that side to offset the huge rock. Nice decision!

8. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I can't believe how pathetic that bunch I got from Petsmart was. The new bunch (from Petco) is sooo nice and healthy.

I'm seriously thinking of ordering some dwarf hairgrass or SOMETHING short like that for in front of the ship bubbler...to help balance it more. Thoughts?

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Could work I think if it's kept short. I don't know much about it; I just know what looks good LOL!

10. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf hairgrass (and micro sword...both of which I'm considering) get to be about 4" tall at their tallest.

11. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Ann. But you can "mow" the grass right? :) If it formed a nice carpet it could look really nice I that foreground.

12. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, pretty sure you can clip dwarf hairgrass down. My friend has some in one of his tanks and it isn't much over an inch long...and he doesn't ever do anything with it.

13. tress29 Member Member

When I moved back into my house (ex moved out!) I found a box of fish stuff in the garage. Lots of pastel gravel, some plastic plants, a bio-wheel mini and a big rock like that! I put it in my ten gallon with clay colored sand. Unfortunately, my CPDs like to swim behind it and I rarely see them!

14. bettakeeper Well Known Member Member

Love the tank! I think like you that some short plants are needed in the front. Good luck- I can't wait to see this tank continue to progress!

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure I like the huge rock, actually :;nin2

16. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

So, big rock aside...which do you think would be better for the foreground? Dwarf hairgrass or micro sword?

DHG:
    [​IMG]

Micro Sword:
    [​IMG]

(Credit for both pics goes to liveaquaria.com)

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ohh, thats a tough choice. Give I had a good source of Microsword, I probably would have gone with that, but I ended up with DHG from the LFS.

I thiiiiink..... Microsword =3

18. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I'm kind of leaning more toward the micro sword, as well, Akari. I can get some good-looking micro sword at Petco (LFS only carries very basic plants like anacharis and hornwort and they're soooooooo expensive!). I think the DHG is too...spiky...compared to the softness of the val and anacharis.

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, you need something comparatively thick to your other plants. PetSmart has Microsword in those weird vacuum sealed pouches, too. Pretty expensive, but I've had good luck with all the plants I buy like that.

20. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Our Petsmart doesn't carry plants like that. :;dk

Petco carries the plants in tubes, but 90% of those are non-aquatic. lol