Dips For Frogbit And Water Sprite

1. Soxrobin

Soxrobin Valued Member Member

I started adding plants to my 10 gal a couple years ago, but to avoid hitchhikers, I always bought tissue cultured plants. Aside from being a somewhat expensive way to plant a tank, it also makes my plant choices pretty limited. I have recently put together a 36 bowfront and planted it with tissue cultured plants, but I really wanted water sprite and frogbit for the tank, which I could not find as a culture.

So, I bit the bullet, made an Aquabid account, and ordered some. The person I got them from said that they come from indoor plant only or guppy tanks with no snails. Still, since this is my first time adding plants that aren't tissue cultured, I'm paranoid about hitchhikers. So, when the plants arrived, (a day late in a smashed box with the water sprite bag popped... thanks post office...), I put them in a cut up water jug with tank water. They have been there for a week, and so far I have not spotted any snails, but I'm still a bit hesitant to put them in my tank. Plus, I worry about things I can't see making it into my tank, as well. (I had to tear down my 10 gal and start over due to camalanus worms from a healthy looking guppy, and I do not want to repeat that experience!)

I've never liked working with bleach, so I'm leery of a bleach dip. I spray 3% hydrogen peroxide directly on my houseplants' roots when I repot with no ill effects, so I thought that might be gentler on the aquarium plants. But, it seems like most people recommend bleach, though not for "sensitive plants." Would frogbit or water sprite be considered sensitive? What is my best bet for making sure I don't introduce anything to my tank? Also, if hydrogen peroxide would work, how would I use it? The posts I have read that mention it give specific instructions for using bleach, but then just say "or you can do a hydrogen peroxide dip" with no further information.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this. The tank is fully cycled, so I want to finish with my plants so I can start adding fish, shrimp, and intentional snails! :)

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Im not sure if hydrogen peroxide will remove any hitchhikers.

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Salt dip is another option. There are several recipes online. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    Soxrobin

Soxrobin Valued Member Member

Thanks for the input! Right now, after doing a lot more research, I am thinking of going with either Potassium Permanganate or Alum, since it sounds like they are more effective than hydrogen peroxide, but not as harsh as bleach. Does anyone have a recommendation on which of those two might work better? I plan on adding these plants to a tank that will eventually have shrimp and mystery snails, so I need to also make sure that neither of these dips will cause the plants to be toxic to invertebrates after rinsing.

Does anyone have any experience using either of these dips before putting plants in with invertebrates? Also, do water sprite and frogbit fall into the sensitive category, or the hardy category?

I also keep seeing conflicting information as to whether or not you can dip the roots. It seems to me like if you can't dip every part of the plant, you can't be getting all of the hitchhikers...