Dioaquatics 10 gallon Betta Tank

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
That's nice, the sponges aren't nearly so noticeable as they were. And I like the statue, very peaceful looking. Who is it?
That was my hope. The sponges were way to "out in the open". Once the bacopa grows in, it'll be much less noticeable. I think the statue is some type of Buddha but I'm not 100% sure, I got it on clearance at petsmart lol

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, it looks like a Buddha but not the standard Buddha in lotus position. Interesting though.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ha, I wouldn't have even known there were different Buddhas if it weren't for watching "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
Ha, I wouldn't have even known there were different Buddhas if it weren't for watching "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS.
I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you lol

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm gonna ramble here for a minute or two... So about that Buddha, it reminded me of "Aqua Buddha" because water and Buddha, duh. I don't know if you know who Rand Paul is but he went to college here where I live and was a member of a "secret" college fraternity known as The Noble Noze Brotherhood or just The Noze Brothers. Anyway at some point they, the Noze, had a bong nicknamed "Aqua Buddha" where they would, ahem, "worship". Pretty funny story, worth a quick Google if you're so inclined.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
I'm gonna ramble here for a minute or two... So about that Buddha, it reminded me of "Aqua Buddha" because water and Buddha, duh. I don't know if you know who Rand Paul is but he went to college here where I live and was a member of a "secret" college fraternity known as The Noble Noze Brotherhood or just The Noze Brothers. Anyway at some point they, the Noze, had a bong nicknamed "Aqua Buddha" where they would, ahem, "worship". Pretty funny story, worth a quick Google if you're so inclined.
Sounds like a funny read, I'll look them up lol

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looking better... Why not add a black background? You can use some black construction paper from 99¢ store, cut it to size and tape it to the back (outside). Sponges will immediately disappear. Looks classy too.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bigdreams said:
Looking better... Why not add a black background? You can use some black construction paper from 99¢ store, cut it to size and tape it to the back (outside). Sponges will immediately disappear. Looks classy too.
Thank you! I’ve been planning on doing that but keep forgetting to get the black background. I definitely want to do it though.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, the puffer tank is yet again, looking like a hot piece of garbage. The bacopa is starting to grow new leaves but the bottom portions are cover in algae. The entire tank is covered in algae actually. I think it’s from lack of proper filtration, it only has 2 sponge filters. The anubias I put in the front of the tank, some of them have rotted away almost completely and are now covered in dead BBA and green algae. Just look at this mess, it’s really embarrassing actually. I almost didn’t post this but the hobby isn’t always sunshines and rainbows.
686DE515-880D-4EC1-9027-FAC64482FB29.jpeg

I think I’m just going to start this tank over again, like from scratch. Buy a new 10 gallon to remake this “custom” rimless 10 gallon breeder style tank, the current one has a lot of scratches on it. It’ll actually have a black background this time to make it look better. I will be buying a mini canister filter rated for 15 gallons for better filtration. I want to replace the finnex stingray light for a T5HO light. Lighting schedule will be changed with new, stronger light. I will reuse the same eco-complete substrate and the Buddha decor will just be cleaned off.

As for the plants, I might just chop the bacopa down to where the new grow is, and hope the new growth takes off and doesn’t get covered in algae. I’ll probably take some hygro polysperma clippings from the 75 and put it in here too, it’s growing like mad in the 75. The crypts I have in there aren’t growing at all so they will probably get put in my 75. The anubias, I might reuse, depending on how much of it I have left, if not, I’ll probably get some other plant for the foreground. Once I redo the tank, I might add another puffer or 2.

So those are the plans for the puffer tank. Any suggestions or advice on aquascaping or anything really is greatly appreciated.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am totally not the one you want to take aquascaping advice from, but I love your Buddha decor, (thank goodness it's staying!) I just can't help but think you'll have a little more space without the sponge filters, and since Buddism thrived in the Himalayas... well, have you considered adding some rock to the tank?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
I am totally not the one you want to take aquascaping advice from, but I love your Buddha decor, (thank goodness it's staying!) I just can't help but think you'll have a little more space without the sponge filters, and since Buddism thrived in the Himalayas... well, have you considered adding some rock to the tank?
To me advice is advice lol. I had some granite rock in the tank before but I didn't like the way it looked. I might get some seiyru stone and try that out to see if I like it better than the granite. Yes I feel like it'll look so much better without the sponge filters in the way

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seiryu is an excellent choice in my opinion. I have some in a small betta cube, and wanted more for our 20 gallon long, but dang, the stuff is expensive. So, I took an opportunity while on a trip to the mountains of NC and gathered granite while I was there. The granite is now in our 20 gallon and guess what? I don't love it... while I do love the Seiryu in the betta cube.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any videos of them eating? I love watching them eat

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Totally Not Kermit said:
Any videos of them eating? I love watching them eat
I don’t have any videos currently but I can definitely get one today of them eating live black worms. They absolutely LOVE live black worms lol

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had a Pea Puffer in a 5.5 gallon tank. Just some plastic plants and rocks. He was pretty skittish when I approached the tank to feed him or check him out. I had him for about 2 weeks before I rehomed him. Figured someone else with more Puffer & real plant experience can give him a better home. I don't do plants and when I do they wind up dying. I even kill house plants.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So cool!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom