Dioaquatics’ Fishroom

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How are you planing to filter, separately or centrally? Just curious really lol.
At first I was going to do a central sump system but the risk of transferring diseases it WAY to high like that so each tank will be filtered with a couple sponge filters.

Definitely watching and following. Keeping an eye on your Apistos as well.
Thanks for following along! Hopefully I can get the breed soon and share these beautiful fish with you all

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea I was gonna say the sponge filters, but I was watching a video on a guy who breeds, and with his Corydoras he used a central system so when one pair bred it would get in the water and make others start. Those apistos are magnificent by the way.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yea I've seen people do things both ways. A YouTuber I follow had a central dump system but one tank ended up getting sick and then suddenly all of his tanks were infected. That's my main reason for not doing the sump. If I were to breed bettas, that would work for the barracks system but in my case, separate sponge filters is the safest way to go. Thank you! I hope to get some really vivid coloring and finnage with these guys

bNissan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why not both? You could have the majority of your tanks on sponges and a small block of them on a central sump. This way you can take advantage of the security that sponges provide and the breeding bonuses of the sump, and then return the fish to sponge filtered tanks when you are done.

I could be completely off base, admittedly I don't know a lot about fish rooms.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I technically could do that but I fear too much of disease spreading from tank to tank with a central sump. If I did a central sump, I'd have to have a separate quarantining rack for all the fish before they go in the breeding tanks. With individually filtered tanks, each tank on its own will be a quarantine tank for the specific fish in it so it kind of just skips the middle man of quarantining

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just sharing pictures of the new apistogramma. They are such beautiful fish. Definitely my favorite right now.

Here's the adult female. I can't get over her, she looks like she's in breeding condition already.
IMG_7011.JPG

Here's the juvenile male. He's already got amazing coloring so I'm excited to see why he looks like when he's full grown.
IMG_7015.JPG

And the largest of the 3 juvenile "females". Nothing super special with them but they sure are cute lol
IMG_7013.JPG

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just sharing pictures of the new apistogramma. They are such beautiful fish. Definitely my favorite right now.

Here's the adult female. I can't get over her, she looks like she's in breeding condition already.
View attachment 342763

Here's the juvenile male. He's already got amazing coloring so I'm excited to see why he looks like when he's full grown.
View attachment 342765

And the largest of the 3 juvenile "females". Nothing super special with them but they sure are cute lol
View attachment 342764
They're amazing. I've liked these ever since I saw a picture the first time. Don't hear too much about them on here, and have yet to see one in person in my area.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They're amazing. I've liked these ever since I saw a picture the first time. Don't hear too much about them on here, and have yet to see one in person in my area.
They truly are amazing little fish. I used to be a livebearer guy but dwarf cichlids have taken over. I fell in love with them from a picture I saw online too and I had to have them. Being able to breed them soon is just a blessing.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too have never seen apistos in person, they are quite lovely in pictures though. This thread sure is getting exciting @KingD !!! So glad to be following along.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The basement is finally cleared of all the junk! Super excited to see all the space I have down there now. Next I'm going to buy the cinder blocks and 2x6s for the rack and set up whatever tanks I can for now. The 13 tanks won't all be coming to the fish room at once. I'm going to buy them at 1-2 at a time either on Craigslist for cheap or the DPG sale at Petco. I won't actually fill them up with water until that part of the ceiling in the basement is reinsulated and the Sheetrock is up.

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Great news! I hope finding good deals on all those future tanks won't be too difficult.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, that female cacatuoides is very nice!

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Great news! I hope finding good deals on all those future tanks won't be too difficult.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, that female cacatuoides is very nice!
I'm having a somewhat difficult time finding the tanks on Craigslist. Seems like there's not many fishkeepers around my area getting rid of 20 longs or 40 breeders lol. Getting them at PetCo for a dollar per gallon doesn't bother me at all but obviously getting them cheaper is much better for the wallet haha.

Thank you! I knew that the females were yellow when in breeding conditions but I didn't expect it to be that vivid.

They look great - very nice cacs!
Thank you. I hope they make some beautiful babies for me

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In preparation of the racking system, I tried to calculate a rough estimate for how much all the materials will be. I need different lengths of 4x4, 2x4, 2x6, and about 24 cinder blocks (2 different sizes). All of this I guestimate will come to around $120-140, which if you ask me, isn't bad at all for a rack that will be holding 13 tanks lol. I'm pretty sure I spent more than that building the stand and canopy for my 75g LOL. Unlike the tanks, I will try to get all the materials I need at once that way I can have it set up and ready for the tanks when they are bought.

Here's the design plans again for a frontal view of the rack again.
image.jpeg

I also drew up a very rough sketch of the side view of the rack and the materials I need.
image.jpeg

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Quick update, I get payed tomorrow so that means I'll be able to get the materials for the rack. Hopefully I can buy everything I need either tomorrow or Friday and setting up the rack in it's final resting spot the same day. Will post pictures after all the supplies are bought and the process of setting up the racks. Slowly getting closer to actually have tanks set up!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So exciting!! Can't wait to see the racks set up! And those apistos are BEAUTIFUL!! I'll def be in line for one of the babies!

One thing about the racks... it looks like you only have 4 inches above those 40 b's... that's not a lot of room for water changes/cleaning/maneuvering & such. You may want more room for your siphon/hands etc. (no experience with a rack like this tho). Fortunately, with your design, you can change it around if it isn't enough room. Just my 2 ¢

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How exciting! Can't wait to see photos.
Photos will definitely be coming soon

So exciting!! Can't wait to see the racks set up! And those apistos are BEAUTIFUL!! I'll def be in line for one of the babies!

One thing about the racks... it looks like you only have 4 inches above those 40 b's... that's not a lot of room for water changes/cleaning/maneuvering & such. You may want more room for your siphon/hands etc. (no experience with a rack like this tho). Fortunately, with your design, you can change it around if it isn't enough room. Just my 2 ¢
Thank you! The apistos are my favorite fish at the moment lol. Once they spawn for me, I'll be sharing them with you guys

I did notice that myself and was a little concerned but I figured since the 40b will be sticking out an extra 6 inches from the front of the 20L, and that 4 inch space on top, that I should be able to do any cleaning or anything I need rather easily. As for water changes, the tanks will all be drilled and have 1 inch bulk heads on the back so I can drain the water easier. If anything does need to be changed, I'd have to move some things around but it's not impossible to work around

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photos will definitely be coming soon

Thank you! The apistos are my favorite fish at the moment lol. Once they spawn for me, I'll be sharing them with you guys

I did notice that myself and was a little concerned but I figured since the 40b will be sticking out an extra 6 inches from the front of the 20L, and that 4 inch space on top, that I should be able to do any cleaning or anything I need rather easily. As for water changes, the tanks will all be drilled and have 1 inch bulk heads on the back so I can drain the water easier. If anything does need to be changed, I'd have to move some things around but it's not impossible to work around
Sounds good to me!! (That said, I'm no expert lol) this sounds like an awesome setup! Gonna be following closely & living vicariously thru this thread!

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got caught up doing some other things after work so I didn't go to Home Depot as early as I wanted to but all the wood and cinderblocks have been purchased and are in my basement! The wood was cut to size for me at Home Depot for free so that was a plus. I ended up getting 23 cinder blocks and boy was that a pain to move around by myself. From the shelf to the cart, from the cart to my car, and from my car to my basement. So basically I died a little doing that LOL. Due to the fact I partially died, I didn't get to set up the rack so that will happen tomorrow when I revive myself a little.

I actually overestimated how much everything was going to cost. I only spent $100 on all the materials I need for the rack which is awesome. That means I get to keep what I thought was an extra $20-40, for the fish funds. I also sold 20 of my guppies from my 75 for a buck a piece so there's another $20 to the fish funds.

Here's all the materials lined up and ready to be put together! Oh, also, I ended up not buying the 4x4 because I will be using the spare cuts from the 2x6 and 2x4 as the extra risers on top of the cinder blocks since I have them available. Can't wait to get this set up!
IMG_7068.JPG
IMG_7069.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom