Dioaquatics’ Fishroom

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh gosh... you listed a bunch of fish and inverts in your previous post. I have no clue!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Or could you possibly have gotten them all at once?? lol OK, are you waiting for some more people to guess or are you going to show us what you got??

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No not all at once lol I wish I was at that step in the fishroom. No one else seems to be guessing so I'll just tell you, I got 5 more apistogramma cacatuoides triple reds. 1 adult female, 3 juvenile females, and 1 juvenile male. The adult female is about 1 3/4 inches. The juvies are all super small at about 3/4 of an inch. The seller had reassured me that they are what he says so let's see how they sex out when they're older.

Here's the adult female, she was a nice bright yellow in the bag so I'm sure that's a female.
IMG_6986.JPG

Here are the 4 juvies. Very small but very cute lol
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6989.JPG

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having a fishroom is a non stop adventure. You will need two tanks for these Apistos, for example. If they breed, you'll need three, or maybe four. You'll be arranging things, moving them around - it's fun.
I have never seen Apistogramma shipped in the same bag, except from South America. Usually, shippers single bag them for panic aggression in transit.
What kind of water will you have for your fishroom, hardness and pH-wise?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Following!! I'll be interested in those apisto babies when they come around!
Hopefully they breed well for me and I'll be able to share these guys with all of you on here

Having a fishroom is a non stop adventure. You will need two tanks for these Apistos, for example. If they breed, you'll need three, or maybe four. You'll be arranging things, moving them around - it's fun.
I have never seen Apistogramma shipped in the same bag, except from South America. Usually, shippers single bag them for panic aggression in transit.
What kind of water will you have for your fishroom, hardness and pH-wise?
I'm so excited for this adventure. I'm constantly looking for something new to do with my 75 but I never can find anything so this fishroom will definitely keep me busy. I'm going to have a total of 13 tanks (so far), 10x 20L and 3x40B.

The adult female was shipped in her own bag. The 4 juvies were in the same bag and I'm assuming it's because of how small they are. I'm not sure but I know they came in looking great so thankfully there wasn't much aggression in the bag with the juvies.
If I'm not mistaken, my pH is around 7.4-7.6, I'd have to test my hardest which I can do today and let you know.

Do you have tips or any advice when it comes to breeding apistogramma?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well with the help of my mom and grandma, my basement is finally cleaned and organized. All I have left to do, is wait till either 9th or 16th of this month to throw out all the junk we had in the basement. Once we throw all that stuff out, I'll have a lot more space and I can start getting the materials for the rack systems after I come up with a solid design.

The next step is to insulate the rest of the ceiling that's missing insulation and put up the drywall on the ceiling too.

Now I'm wondering, should I build the racks completely out of wood or should I use cinderblocks too? My basement can get pretty humid at times so I worry about using only wood and then having it rot.

Also thought I'd share some pictures of the new female apistogramma. Boy oh boy, she flipping gorgeous looks at that yellow! Imaging how vibrant she's gonna look when she's with Big Boy
IMG_7001.JPG

You can see how much larger she is compared to the juvies I got with her (bottom left of the picture).
IMG_6998.JPG
IMG_6999.JPG

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmmm, that would be an interesting stand. I'll definitely look more into that. Thank you!

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea just an idea that to me sounds mister resistant. I honestly don't think you have any trouble with treated wood

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Another long post coming. After struggling with getting the design for the racks and getting everything at the right height, I think I got it right.

This is the basic layout of how I want the tanks to be placed on the racks. In drawing it out, I realized that cinder blocks (labeled CB) come in 8 inch heights. If I use them to build the legs and risers for each shelf, I will be around 74 inches tall, give or take an inch or 2. That's too tall for my basement. So what I did was change out some of the cinder blocks on each riser and put in a piece of 4x4 right on top of the cinder blocks. Here's what I mean.

Old design
IMG_7007.JPG

Slightly modified design. You can see that 4 of the cinder blocks used as risers are changed to pieces of 4x4. With these few changes, the height is now 66 inches which is much more realistic.
IMG_7008.JPG

I think this new design is what's going to be happening with the fish room. If anyone has any tips or ideas or sees anything that can be improved, please let me know.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Definitely watching and following. Keeping an eye on your Apistos as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom