Diluting Safe (prime Dry Alternative)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Homeslice, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    So, it says for every 1/4th teaspoon of Safe you should use that to decholorinate every 300 gallons. Well shiat, my tanks are 55 gallon, 29 gallon, and 10 gallon. The smallest measuring device I have is for 1/8th a teaspoon. So 150 gallons, not 300. Still way too many lol.

Anyone have tips about how much I should put into like a 12 or 16 oz container to then pour that diluted mix into the water to dechloronite it?

Thanks!

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi again,

I believe @coralbandit does something like this, maybe he can share his ways.

As for me, I follow the guideline someone made on the seachem safe “customer images” amazon page.

“1/4 tsp = 300 Gallons Some reviewer use this amount in their 100 gallons and 75 gallon tanks

1 TAD = 150 Gallons - I use a TAD in my 100 gallons tank, 30 gallons sump, 130 gallon total. I've also read in the reviews that people use a TAD in their 75 gallons tank with great success.

1 DASH = 75 Gallons

1 PINCH = 50 Gallons

1 SMIDGEN = 25 Gallons

1 DROP = 10 Gallons. I would use a drop for anything under 10 gallons (down to a 5 gallon) because there are no spoon smaller than this. For example, Use a drop in your 5 gallon buckets. I never really mix anything under 4-5 gallons so not sure what to recommend. Although I think a drop will be good for anything under 5 gallons.”

I’ve been following this guideline for a while now, never had a trouble for my big tanks.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    can u use a millimeter syringe and look up a conversion chart to get the measurements as accurate as possible

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I pre mix 1 teaspoon in 500ml water .That gives me a solution of which 1ml treats 2 gallons. The directions say 1 tsp treats 1,000g .
    Been doing it for my last 4 KILOS of SAFE .Or about 4 years .

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +834
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The recommended dosage of Safe only removes 0.6 mg/L chloramine. This is a problem given that the national average is something like 2.0 and as little as 0.003 can be toxic. In contrast, the recommended dosage of Prime removes 3.8 mg/L. The dosage of Safe needs to be increased 6.3 times to match that of Prime. That should make measuring more easy.

6. OP
    OP
    Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Wholly molley Avalanche Dave, that is weird! Where can I see that?! That sounds nuts that they would recommend a dosage of Safe that is not safe for fish, when they have Prime that apparently does have a recommended dosage safe for fish - they could get sued big time!!!

7. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +834
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I tested it myself using my trusty old colorimeter. I actually tested several dechlorinators and the results are pretty interesting. I want to redo the videos with better lighting (and possibly technique as well) before making them public.