Dijon is a fighter- Mustard Gas Betta

Chobin

I purchased Dijon from a petsmart in mid-february, from one of those tiny plastic cups. He was so beautiful, and he didn't look like he was unhealthy, and his fins were fine (no ick or fin rot). But as soon as I put in him my cycled 5 gallon, I knew something wasn't quite right with the poor little guy. He was not interested in food, from various pellets, flakes, and frozen foods like baby brine shrimp. He hid instead of hanging in his home, and began nipping at his fins.

I rearranged his decor, added rocks to the "waterfall" in the tank to quiet the flow, and added an indian almond leaf to the tank with some API stress coat.

This worked wonders! He began swimming around curiously in a few weeks. Within two weeks of adopting him, I coaxed him into eating flake food by waving the food in front of his face with tweezers. He went from being a sad little guy, to building bubble nests and voraciously tearing into his food, and swimming in front of the tank to stare at us and beg for more dinner. My daughter and I grew very attached to him!

Then just this past friday, he suddenly became very ill. The first sign was his immediate tearing into his healing fins. I bought some API general cure, wondering if it was some kind of bacterial infection. I did a water change prior to adding it, just in case--but water parameters came up fine. Then we waited for four sad days, as he sat at the bottom of his tank, breathing heavily and swimming erratically. Yesterday, I wondered if I was being cruel prolonging his illness, and wondered if I should look up humane ways to euthanize the poor little guy. Then today, a miracle! As I did a water change as instructed by antiobiotic instructions, I noticed he was no longer flopped over on his side, but swimming in place. Now I have hope he will make it. When he comes up for air, he swims normally (not erratic as before). I am so hopeful he will make a full recovery, even though he's more interested in hiding under his Indian almond leaf right now than eating anything. Crossing my fingers this little guy makes a full recovery and starts eating again soon. Bettas are truly tough little creatures, with so much personality.

Attached is a before picture when he was healthy and curious, and a picture of him noticeably paler, but much stronger than the last four days.

Attachments

• IMG-2492.jpg
    IMG-2492.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-2519.jpg
    IMG-2519.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 32

betta06

his name is so cute! have you tried garlic juice? it will enhance his appetite.

Chobin

his name is so cute! have you tried garlic juice? it will enhance his appetite.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have some garlic guard I bought when I first got him, and he wasn't eating. I'll try that in a few days when he's a little less shy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
Barrk2
Replies
Views