Digital strip analyzer?

1. Cef Member Member

I saw this while browsing facebook page of an lfs. Was wondering if some of you have used this? Is this as accurate as the Api(i have one) due to being digital? [​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't see that it would make much of a difference. You're still using strips to test your water, you're just sending off a picture of it (essentially) for a computer to read at the other end.

3. Cef Member Member

Yes, I figured that since it was basically a test strip, that over time it would become inaccurate due to exposure in air.

4. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I have a photometer that is highly accurate and uses proprietary strips (sensafe) but it is specialized equipment. In this product you're using your smart phones camera and so the test will only be as accurate as each camera I think. Hard to say, I'd be curious to see what they show for the accuracy rates. I noticed it doesn't include ammonia which is odd unless I missed it.

You use an app to read the colors (I don't think it goes over the Internet?).

I have read that strips can be highly accurate it's that our human eyes cannot differentiate the fine color differences :;dk

I'd be tempted to try something like that if I didn't have my wonderful sen safe kit!

5. Cef Member Member

It might just be a gimmik by the company for people to spend more on these test strips. Yeah, one of the most tested thing in aquariums is missing lol.

6. moonraingirl Member Member

I bought a 6in1 test from JBL and I think it is the same as this new one, just without the app.
    I don't find it accurate, the colours you get in some cases don't match the colour scale and it is impossible to read results. I don't think the phone camera would help the accuracy if the test itself is not good. And as was said above, it's harder to capture colour accurately using camera than seeing with human eyes.

7. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I looked at their FAQ and they said the 6 in 1 aren't the same and can't be used with the app etc. as they don't have the sensitivity that these have. I'd be curious (just for fun) to compare it to my photometer and see how off they are. I like to compare things like that :)