Different way of cycling ??? 29 Gallon Tank 

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well i am saying that this is a different way coz herez my story :

So i went to my friend's place and saw that somebody had discarded a 29 gallon tank with one filter with filter media and some decors in it.

So i brought the tank home and when i was about to clean it, i saw that there were 2 frys alive in the tank .. wriggling in little bit of water. I immediately added water to it.. and very slowly.. picked them using a net and placed them in a separate container with conditioned water. I added some food to it. After sometime when i was about to clean the filter, i saw that there was a small shell snail stuck on the side. I though the snail was dead but then when i put it in water, that too started swimming happily

So far i am happy that i saved 3 creatures, they are doing pretty good. This happened around 3 days back and i am already seeing that the frys are growing. I am changing water every two days since i don't have a cycled tank yet.

On the other hand, the tank had lot of algae in it so i scrubbed it nicely and cleaned it but i did not clean the filter media. I added water to the tank and started the filter. Intially the filter was awfully smelly but then i added anti algae tablets and now the tank water is clear and the smell is gone.

I have placed the same decor without washing it, into the tank and have added ammonia.

So my questions are :

- Will the used filter media help in cycling the tank faster ? Should i put that filter in my new 10 gallon tank which is still cycling since past around 20 days.? will that help ?

- I am currently adding fish flakes for the frys and they are eating happily but what about the snail ? Do we have different food for invertebrates ?

- How much time does a 10 gallon tank take to cycle ? I am not adding any bacteria to it but now i am thinking that i should...

Pls advice.

I am logging the progress of my 10 gallon tank here :

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the snail will be fine eating whatever the fry miss.
Feeding fry is rather messy as there is almost always waste leftover, so it's good to use something like a turkey baster to pick up after them.

The used filter media will probably give you an instant cycle if the bacteria is still viable in it. The only way to really know is to run the tank and test it with a proper liquid test kit every day.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore Fishtanker!

Nice rescue!! Can you tell what kind of fry you have?

Good luck with your new tank!

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jetajockey said:
the snail will be fine eating whatever the fry miss.
Feeding fry is rather messy as there is almost always waste leftover, so it's good to use something like a turkey baster to pick up after them.

The used filter media will probably give you an instant cycle if the bacteria is still viable in it. The only way to really know is to run the tank and test it with a proper liquid test kit every day.
+1

Also, if the media is still viable you could use it to jump start your cycle on the 10 gal. I would suggest against using a cycling product on that tank since you've already started with the standard fish-less cycle.

Scott

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if 2 fry and a snail were still alive in the tank, a decent portion of the bacteria probably is too. If this is the case you don't need to "cycle" it since the bacteria are already grown. the only way to know for sure though is to get a liquid test kit.

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had one and put it on the fast track and it only took a couple of days, if you need to move them you can check the levels and do water changes as needed. Keep an eye on the levels for a few weeks and the fish will be fine. Using media, filters and old water (as long as its not obviously gross looking) from established tanks is beneficial as long as the tanks the stuff was in was not diseased. For the snail they will munch on algae, if there is none in your tank throw in half an algae wafer.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right now I am not sure what frys they are but they are very active and they are yellowish in color with a silver line which runs from head to tail.

I know feeding frys is messy but I change the whole water in two days since they are in a fish bowl

Good to hear that snail will eat the same wafers . By the time the frys grow up my tanks will have cycled.

What frys I have?? Any guesses?

I have already started the filter and have added the ammonia. The ammonia was processed in 24 hours but no nitrite, so I added more ammonia to it and looks like it's decreasing ... Let's see !

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as its processing ammonia it should be working fine. If it's processing the ammonia then it should also be processing the nitrites into nitrate.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jetajockey said:
as long as its processing ammonia it should be working fine. If it's processing the ammonia then it should also be processing the nitrites into nitrate.
Oh ok, that means I should test nitrates, also I have the API liquid test kit.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishtanker said:
Oh ok, that means I should test nitrates, also I have the API liquid test kit.
Definitely. I would test all 3 just to see where you stand, but definitely check the nitrates.

Dont forget to bang extra hard on the nitrate bottle #2, it needs to be stirred up extremely well to get a proper test result.

If the ammonia level keeps reducing to 0 and there are no nitrites present then I wouldn't hesitate to do a big water change and add fish.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have not tested nitrates yet but will do it tommorrow, I am hoping that I see nitrated

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads