Different types of mosses

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by kidster9700, Jul 23, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Hey, so I'm setting up an ultra low light low tech tank for fry and shrimp. It doesn't even have a light! (It will get some ambient light from a window and my room lights).
    So far I have some little plants in there that I forgot the name of haha, I'm moving them to the big tank once I get what I want though. I'm getting Marimo moss balls, but wanted some other types of moss.
    Is there a good resource with a list of all the different aquarium moss types and pictures? I've heard of Java, Christmas, fire, and a bunch more but I want to know how they will look and grow before I add them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I really like Java moss. This list has a few varieties of moss

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have Java moss in my tank but I like the look of Christmas moss better but couldn't track down any.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I really like the flame moss, and I think the willow moss is nice but I'm not sure. I would like to make a Java moss wall for the back of my 10g. I think it would look nice. My only issue with that is how would I keep small shrimp from finding a way behind it?

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I like Fissidens, it's quite a delicate looking moss & I find it grows a bit neater than some others such as Java or willow

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Oh wow that is nice. Where did you buy yours? Is it something readily available?

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never seen it in any Lfs, I got mine through a fish sale /swap facebook group

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I got a little Java moss and had the fish store near me order a little riccia(spelling?) moss. I liked the way it looked! Very bright green. It will contrast nicely against the darker mosses I'm using for the wall. Do you guys think having a moss wall made of multiple mosses will look good? Ex Java and willow. It wouldn't be mixed in, I might do like the bottom half willow and the top bits Java or something.

9. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

FYI, Marimo Moss Balls are not moss at all, they are a type of algae similar to cladophora algae. I would stick to real plants like the other mosses mentioned.

I have a mixed moss that is mostly Christmas moss with some java moss mixed in. And it looks good. Hard to really tell the difference when it all grows together.

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Oh yeah, I forgot the moss balls aren't moss haha. Do you think they might still look good in there? I want it to be like a minimalist tank, hence the moss wall in the back. That way the shrimp will get their moss but the sand isn't all covered in plants. I found a nice piece of spider wood to put in the center. I though some moss balls around it or something would look cool.

11. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Many people make moss "trees" out of some moss tied to nice driftwood. They tie it into a ball shape around the ends, to look like a tree. I'm sure if you google search "moss tree" you will find a ton of ideas.

As for the Marimo Moss Balls, I prefer to avoid them. I don't like introducing any algae into the tank if it can be avoided. You can get a similar affect by balling up real moss with some fishing line and scissors. You just need to trim it every few weeks or so to keep the ball shape, and rotate to a new position so there are no dead spots.

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay. I'll probably keep the Marimo balls in my main tank then. I already have some in there, and I want to get Amano shrimp so the more algae the better.

13. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

so far i'm going to have (for sure) java, christmas, and willow moss. i think i should do the christmas moss towards the bottom because i think it will grow out more. thoughts?

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I have Java, and I'm picking up the riccia today! I'll also be getting my "large portion of willow moss" in the mail. I'll still have to wait until Thursday for the Christmas moss to come, but this is getting exciting!

15. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Nice! You're getting some good varieties of moss

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I don't know if the riccia will be a part of the moss wall, or if I'll just have it free floating. I really like the color of it.

17. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Marimo moss balls are technically algae but they don't encourage other types of algae, and my clean-up crew does not eat the moss balls at all.

They add a dark velvetty texture to the tank. I have even cut some up to make a carpet around the base of my larger rocks. [​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I actually have a few of those in there but wasn't sure if I wanted to keep them. My bf really likes them so I may just keep one and give the rest to him for our 55

19. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I also really like the marimo moss balls as well and have 11 divided between my three tanks . Six of them are really big like the size of an apple or orange and the others are bigger than golfballs but not as big as the last 6 that I bought.. I love the way they look, very serene looking . Alison

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Just picked up two bunches of riccia moss. It's not in the best condition, though.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438030949.649181.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438030971.926550.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice