Different types of bettas?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was at the LFS today, visiting and picking out some more supplies when I made my way over to the bettas... I didn't know there were different types of bettas, but he rattled off three different kinds... Half-moon, something I didn't catch, and "regular 'uns" I thought the smaller ones that he called halfmoon were females... Can anyone shine some light on this for me?
Thanks
~J~

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are few different kinds Betta's. They are pretty much determined by the type of finnage they have. I found this website that goes through the different types and colors that they are. Females are smaller and not as colorful as Males. Teir fins are not as long either. Here the website. I hope it was helpful. http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html
Here is a link I found on how different the males and females look and how you can tell the difference. Natalie

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are 2 different kinds of bettas, bubblenesting and mouthbrooding bettas. Bubblenesting and Mouthbrooding bettas are again split into groups. In bubblenesting bettas, there are vetails, crowntails, double-tailed, delta, etc. Mouthbrooding bettas are not common in the U.S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are over 20 different species of bubblenesting bettas alone not counting the subspecies.

Most all of what we see here in the United States are variants on the Betta splendens (i.e. Halfmoon, Crowntail, Veiltail, Delta, Super Delta, Doubletail)....I am sure that is what he was referring to and it refers to the body shape and the type of fins that the fish has.

I will show you pictures of my Crowntail and Halfmoon males and Veiltail male to show you some of the differences.

The first picture is of the Crowntail, Marty (blue/white)
The next picture is of the Halfmoon, Alexander (blue)
The third is the Veiltail male, Azul. (turquoise)

Hope this helps.

Rose

p.s. as far as the females being smaller and not as colorful, do be careful as they are being bred to be more beautiful so they will sell better. The fourth picture is my female Halfmoon and while she is not a fishstore female she is getting to be what will soon be the more normal female.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you for athe repiles... That shines a little light on the whole thing for me!

Rose, What BEAUTIFUL fish, esspecially the female. I love that red!

~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes she is very beautiful but she is vicious. She has killed 3 of her sisters and 2 cories so she will be by herself from now on.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
well u know what they say about red heads

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, Rose, your fish are beautiful!!!  I would have to say that Marty is my favorite though.

Careful there, Timesdragonfly.  I used to be a redhead, until my hair turned white.    Barney and Benji are also redheads. (LOL)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marty has always been my naughty one. He is the one who chased the Otos and was the one who would not tolerate the pea treatment so had to have Daphnia. He is the one who would defy me and throw a fit when the lights would go out at night and he wanted to watch television. He would tear about the tank like he was having a tantrum and I would worry that he would run into the side of the tank and usually give in for just a few more minutes. He could hang there and float and watch the animals on Animal Planet for an hour at a time. When he was just a baby (all of my fish other than my first one, have been babies when I received them) he hardly had enough fins to be able to see if he was going to have many or not and he was in permanent flare because his fins were so short he couldn't "not flare". He was a little doll.

Now with being not well a few times and all he is much quieter but he is still my boy. He comes to the front of the tank and waits for me to sing to him and pouts if he isn't the first one fed in the morning. I know a Mom isn't supposed to have favorites but I would have to say that he is probably mine in some small way too. (they are all asleep so I can say that now)

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom