Different type of water change.

1. Lyfeoffishing

Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so my apartment building is going through a filter cleaning that will take 2 weeks it has been 9 days now and the snail/fish poo is really unsightly. Now all my parameters are fine 0 ammo/nitrites 10 nitrates 7.4 PH.

Now what I was thinking is I could siphon my substrate and get most of the poo out. Then I could add the water back into the tank after I strain the poo from the water (through a filter sock) so I don't have a low tank volume for the next 4-5 days.

My tap right now is totally out for water changes cause the readings are 2-4ppm ammo 0 nitrite 20-40 nitrate and a Ph of 8.4+. The manager has reassured me it will go back to normal standards once the filter is change but the PH might go from the old 7.6 to a lower level (which is fine with me).

So sorry for a long post but will my idea work? Or should I just leave the tank alone till next week?

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I suppose that's better than nothing. Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

Any more thought to this?

4. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Actually, given that your water parameters are so good, I think that for the brief time remaining you could siphon clean your substrate, and then perhaps exchange the missing water with some pure water, like distilled (unless you have access to RO/DI water), to which you have added a touch of baking soda. Best to you, rick

5. d

dgmirage Valued Member Member

keep us posted with what you do and how it results!

6. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

Do you have a LFS that sells water?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

I do have a LFS that sells water but it is really isn't a need for the water change. It's more of a visually eye sore and if it wouldn't be advisable to do it how I see ill just wait till the filter is changed.

8. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I would use a turkey baster and suck up the built up poop. You should take less water out that way! Best of luck.xx

9. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

Thanks for all the responses. I did the change in buckets like I normally do and only lost maybe half a gallon.

Hollie I didn't think of a turkey baster probably would've been easier.