Different species of rabbit snail?

CoronaExtra

Hello. I recently got three more rabbit snails to breed with my current rabbit snail in my shrimp tank. I have three little babies too and majority are golden rabbit snails. However, I have one baby and the one of the glass that have a black/mix of orangey/yellow tint to their skin. Additionally, the shell is much smoother and doesn’t have the distinct textures of my other ones. Is this a different species entirely of rabbit snail? If so, can it still breed with the goldens?

Attachments

• C063CC7A-4748-4751-B54E-30B436BD85EF.jpeg
    C063CC7A-4748-4751-B54E-30B436BD85EF.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 29

Kribensis27

That actually looks like a black devil snail (Faunus ater) to me. They're a relative of rabbit snails, and look similar, but they have a more smooth shell and a darker color. I could be wrong though, I only kept them once, and it was a while ago.

Upvote 0

CoronaExtra

That actually looks like a black devil snail to me. They're a relative of rabbit snails, and look similar, but they have a more smooth shell and a darker color. I could be wrong though, I only kept them once, and it as a while ago.
You’re right! After looking at some images, I believe the pet store passed him as a rabbit snail. Oh well, I have two adult golden rabbits and two baby ones to eventually breed since apparently the rabbits and the black devils can’t breed together

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

You’re right! After looking at some images, I believe the pet store passed him as a rabbit snail. Oh well, I have two adult golden rabbits and two baby ones to eventually breed since apparently the rabbits and the black devils can’t breed together
Yeah, pet stores can be a bit off when it comes to labeling snails. About a year ago, I had a store try to sell me a nerite while calling it a mystery snail. Another one once told me that what were clearly actually MTS were baby trapdoor snails.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Tabbycat724
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Tabbycat724
Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question