Different Sand Method for Tank Setup

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

[video=youtube;IaKxpTqjX_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKxpTqjX_8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I thought I'd share how I set up new tanks with sand.. I don't do the usual method of stirring new sand. What I do is I fill the tank with dechlorinated water, find a bottle that will fit the height of the aquarium, rinse the bottle out thoroughly. Then make a funnel or purchase a funnel, adding sand to the bottle.

Put the sand underwater, waiting until very little or no bubbles comes out of the bottle. Gently squeeze the bottle a few times to make sure the bubbles are gone. Turn the bottle upside-down and spread the sand around the base of the tank.

Once all of the sand is gone, quickly take the bottle out. What would have normally been stirred out from the usual method is still left inside the bottle. This is the very fine particles. Empty the bottle. Repeat again if you need more sand. You're good to go

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Wow that's the cleanest sand I've ever seen! The water in the bottle didn't look dirty at all.

3. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

Yeah.. was gonna say you probably could just dumped the sand strait in and been fine. Be interesting to try that method with play sand from home hardware or some place like that.

4. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

If you did that, then the water would turn cloudy and with this fine sand, the surface would be clogged with floating sand. I've noticed that with fine sand like this, a few air bubbles with trapped sand will develop but eventually goes away. However, with more heavier, coarse sand like my 40 gallon's blue and white sand, much less air bubbles. If any sand starts floating around at the top, all I do is lightly tap the water surface with my hand and that will send the sand floating down to the bottom.

5. noslen1003

noslen1003 Valued Member Member

I guess - you do not wash the sand before putting into the aquarium?

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You have entirely too much time on your hands....... :p

7. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

So if you do it like that, theres no more rinsing and rinsing and rinsing?? :O

8. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Hmm that's a pretty good demo. of how to do that. I wonder if it works the same way with any other type substrates?

9. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Nope, I don't wash my sand. :) or rinse or rinse or rinse.

Give it a try and see. :p. I don't know about other substrates, though. Worth a try, there's nothing to lose and you can always do it over if it doesn't work.

10. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I like it. Would be a great way change substrate in established tank. What happens if water doesn't fill bottle?

11. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Then it wouldn't work properly. The sand would attach to the air bubbles and create a huge mess floating at the top.

So make sure water gets in the bottle thoroughly. :)

12. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Ken the moderator (aquarist) has a video where he uses the same method. You can see all of the cloudiness being "trapped" in the bottle, and then he just takes the bottle out. Very impressive. And I think I'll use this method when (if) I start up my 16 gallon with black Tahitian Moon Sand.

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have sand to wash and a theory to test ;)

14. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I wish to know of the results of your tests :;nin2

15. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

I was curious if gravel would work too, so I carried out a test with the gravel I'd bought for my 3 gallon drink dispenser el natural tank. I wondered if the Petco brand pre-washes their gravel and sand, but the bag says to rinse the gravel before putting into the tank to get rid of fine particles, so I don't think they do. There was fine particles on the inside of the funnel I used.

[video=youtube;u6qAbIx2H7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6qAbIx2H7k[/video]

[​IMG]

Results? Inconclusive. Perhaps someone else with more dirty gravel can test this for us.

16. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

On the petco grave, Yeah they don't pre wash, there are always TONS of small particles left in my 5gal bucket after washing.

As a side note thou, petco does seem to have the cheapest gravel substrate around me, other than buying by the cubic yard lol (which I have been contemplating with the number of tanks I want gravel for.....)

17. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

102_0671.jpg

This is my 80 gallon after putting in playsand.. that I did rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse lol. In comparison to your petco aquarium sand.. well this is what I mean by you could have just dumped that in the tank... perhaps you would have had to use something to pull a bit off of the surface but there was next to 0 for fine particles left in the bottle anyhow.

I would be interesting to see how the bottle method would work with something like this lol.

18. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Ah ha! I found your problem.

You used play sand. All accounts I know of them have not been positive experiences. They aren't at least cleaned from the factory. They have all kinds of stuff in them like dirt, sticks, rocks, etc. It's cheap but you would've been better off using pool filter sand if you wanted large amounts of sand for cheap.

19. Reefdweller

When get this 50 gal bow front ready to setup I recently purchased used I will try this sand method that you showed us. It has black sand that I really like so I hope it works as well for me as it does for you.

:;toast

20. Reefdweller

oh and I hope the video stays up here a while because I will for sure forget how to do it. I will have to watch it a few times. My memory is terrible so yeah not good.. :;drum