Different Platy breed?

Zid88

Hey,

I got a few Platy to keep a Betta company. Got one of each color, hoping they won't breed, not interested.

But then occurred to me... Do they breed? Say I got one of the black / white spotted and a red platy, do they breed?

Thanks

BigManAquatics

Yes, yes they do.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yes, almost 100% chance if you have males/females. They are all the same species, and (Most) livebearers breed constantly.

FreshFins

When I got 3 different colored platies a few years ago they did not breed. Not at all. Its still very possible yours might, but with my fish it just didn't happen. The platys I kept were always a little picky when it came to breeding. Fish will prefer to mate with their own kind rather than another shape or color.

BigManAquatics

When I got 3 different colored platies a few years ago they did not breed. Not at all. Its still very possible yours might, but with my fish it just didn't happen. The platys I kept were always a little picky when it came to breeding. Fish will prefer to mate with there own kind rather than another shape or color.
Go look at my platy tank sometime and realize how full of fake news that statement is. Lol

SouthAmericanCichlids

When I got 3 different colored platies a few years ago they did not breed. Not at all. Its still very possible yours might, but with my fish it just didn't happen. The platys I kept were always a little picky when it came to breeding. Fish will prefer to mate with their own kind rather than another shape or color.
They are all the same species, so they wouldn't have a preference.

JavaMossMan

I have various colored platy also and they breed regardless of color difference. The only thing they do is eat, breed, and poop constantly. Don't be suprised if they attempt to breed with your betta as well.

Zid88

Ok well, hopefully the Betta and the Kilifish will gorge themselves on the fry if they breed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • NouSoua
  • Platy
Replies
Views
NouSoua
  • leaadams
  • Platy
Replies
Views
leaadams