different kinds of tanks..... help please

1. wadesharp Initiate Member

i was just wondering what is the difference between each kind of tank like planted nano, reef nano, nano, and all those could you send me a link or some of your own personal tanks thanks alot im just set up a new tank and im trying to decide what to go with

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The definition varies, but basically a nano tank is often considered to be anything under 20 gallons. Planted nano would be a planted FW tank, nano reef would be a SW tank with corals. Do you have experience with SW tanks at all? A nano reef is definitely doable, but generally more difficult to maintain than a FW nano. Also, it's much more expensive. I'd suggest deciding on a budget for your new project, and doing as much research as you can about SW. It should help you make your decision.

*edit* Here's a pic of my old 8 gallon nano reef, and a 5.5 gallon planted tank.
    101.jpg
    491.jpg

3. wadesharp Initiate Member

yea i want to do fresh water and i had a 150G reef tank a few years ago but when i was out of town one of the power heads popped off and spit close to 90 gallons out in the living room so i dont do anything bigger then 100 now but right now i have the sand bottom tank with some drift wood and gold fish in it to get it started(this is the one im working on) i want to keep catfish or guppies in there is there any kinds of plants i can keep healthy in sand and with out a "plant" light?? i wanted to get that grass looking stuff (i forget the name) BTW thanks for the pics